Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

!st Sketch in Years Mars 27jan

Ibbo!

I used to do quite a bit of this and when I got the dob inspired by the work shown on the group it was my plan to try my hand again

Last night I ventured out with pad and pencils for my 1st Mars for a long time

Details Date/Time 27-1-2010 22-15 Scope SW 300p Dob 7mm Nirvana x218

seeing was 21/2 to 3 Transparency 3 to 4 misty haze

Started with steady skies then turned quickly to patchy then total cloud in 20 mins

N Polar very obvious with high contrast to surrounding area above this area was Mare Alidalium then a gap to Mare Erthraeum and at the side a faint hint of Sinus Meridiani

As you can tell lots of practice needed

post-16491-133877423337_thumb.jpg

Ibbo, lots of detail showing in your sketch. Drawing what you see,most definitely helps you develope an eye for detail.

I only started doing what I call serious planetary drawing last year, I did a stint from 1988 - 1999, but not to level that I've taken it to

in recent months.

I also do a lot of experimenting with different media and materials, which has given me some very good results.

Above all, Keeep Sketching.

Very good drawing indeed; if you keep it up night after night you will find that your eyes become very in tune with the planets, and you'll be able to pick out all of the fine details that you didn't even realise were there before.

I'm delighted to see that sketching at the eyepiece is coming back to the fore! I hope you're keeping all of your drawings and observiation details in a nice log book Ibbo!

All best wishes,

-Paul.

Archived