Narrowband

E-Bay, whats going on ?

crepitis

I always check out the prices before making a bid, and set my maximum accordingly. If I bid, I set myself a cut-off, which is between 1/3 to 2/3 of the 'new' price elsewhere (depending on the item and how much I want it and how hard it is to find otherwise), and tend to stick to that. If I get outbid, I get outbid - similar things tend to appear again if you keep watching. I think of it as gambling (although I don't normally gamble). There were loads of older SCTs going before Xmas (like original Orange-tube Celestrons), but it's a job to know how much they would be worth when they date back to the 80's, and how they would compare with the equivalent today. How good the coatings are, whether the mirrors are still OK, etc.

M.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very disillusioned with ebay..only used it for a couple of years regularly, but now that fees are 10%, plus listing fees plus photos etc etc, it's hardly worth it for some smaller items (seems like that is their intention..)

Also, I get fed up of seeing retail rubbish from China repeated in endless adverts of 10 or 20 lines so that when you search Telescopes you get 5000 items of which probably 10 or 20 are of any interest.

Lately I much prefer to use the SGL for sale ads plus UK Astro Buy and Sell...no fees, genuine sellers (for the most part, stick to UK ads), and decent gear.

Another extension tube I was bidding on just went for £8 plus £5 P+P.

It didnt even have a brass compression ring, just a couple of lock screws.

A bargain at only a fiver less than a brand new , superior version, from FLO.:)

Ive had it with E-Bay from now on, and its not just sour grapes because I was outbid, I just dont understand the kind of buyer on there just now.;)

Thanks a lot for this thread.

I was trying to sell my MX5C CCD for over 2 months on various astro forums. After viewing this thread yesterday I posted it on ebay and sold it within 8 hours!!!!!!!!!

:):D

Andy.

Archived