Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

15 minute window

nicnac

NCIS had just started a commercial break so i, like many, made my way through the kitchen and to the back yard for a mucky ciggie, what did i see? a CLEAR patch in the clouds, not huge but big enough for a taster of what my new TAL had to offer. :)

The moon was bright and i didnt have time to cool my scope.

Quickly i grabbed the gear and threw it up just as quick, well, it took almost 5 mins (gotta be safe)

As i said the moon was not far off full and bright and sat right in the middle of my viewing area so my only target was that moon.

25mm in the focuser, i began to locate the moon, a bit of one way then the other until i orientated myself to the workings of the EQ mount (first time) and BINGO! gotcha!

Nice view with the 25mm, i didnt expect to see so much detail from this EP, to be honest i thought it would be a view akin to the views acquired through my old bins but no, nice and crisp with good detail, there was some boiling but not too much considering i didnt cool the TAL.

i looked behind me and there was a thick blanket of cloud moving in fast so i popped in the 7.5mm again nice view with good contrast, should i barlow the 7.5mm? would that be pushing it? [removed word] it, i did it anyway i was running short of clear sky. i lost contrast while the 7.5mm was barlowed but i could still see some craters in detail, i wont name them because i am not confident in my knowledge of the moon and indeed, astronomy but i will get there ;)

i managed in total about 10 mins minus set up time and even though the cloud rolled in shortly after i had fitted the barlow and the 7.5mm, i still have a big grin on my face.

Bring on 2nd session!!!!!

Archived