Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Turn Left At Orion

I know this is available at Amazon etc, but i recently tried to buy this in a shop, I was told it would be in soon but is currently in reprint. Does anyone know if any more or updated content will be added to it? I've held of buying it from Amazon etc in case the reprint is also a revised edition.

I got this for Xmas (third edition published in 2000, 9th printing 2009) and the updates listed include:

A chapter on spectacular dso's in the southern hemisphere.

Tips on how to observe the upcoming transit of venus.

Discussion on dobs, and tips on using a pc and internet as aids to planning observation sessions.

All tables of data updated to the year 2011.

It also describes it as "thouroughly revised and updated". The missus got it for me from Amazon.

Hope that helps :)

Tracking it to the publishers website I found :-

"Temporarily unavailable - available from February 2010 "

So i've emailed them and asked if there are any amendments/additions in the reprint, I'll post here whatever I learn.

• 1 year later...
Going to play devils advocate here, there are far better books/skymaps etc to purchase out there so make sure its for you!

Any suggestions come to mind, I'm also just about to buy turn left

Cheers

Any suggestions come to mind, I'm also just about to buy turn left

Cheers

Hi Mark, I would definately buy Turn Left, its a wonderful book and is very well regarded by visual astronomers especially, due to the views of the observed subjects given in it.

A decent Sky Atlas, none too expensive, is Sky and Telescope's Pocket Star Atlas or even smaller Philips Pocket Star Atlas both pretty good for what they cost. :)

I think the latest hardcover copy is available now from waterstones and whsmith (amazon out of stock). I would prefer a paperback for knocking about outside. Does anyone know when the latest edition pback will be available?

I have ordered the Hard back from Waterstones, apparently the paperback edition will be out in approx 6-8 months ( so I was told anyhow ).

My TLAO was pretty outdated so treat myself to a pressie :)

I have a Kindle and can see "Turn Left" is available on Amazon in that format, and was wondering if the contents are suitable. Is it mostly text or are there a lot of illustrations / photos / Colour (which will not work so well on the kindle).

Cheers

I have a Kindle and can see "Turn Left" is available on Amazon in that format, and was wondering if the contents are suitable. Is it mostly text or are there a lot of illustrations / photos / Colour (which will not work so well on the kindle).

Cheers

I have the pdf version on Kindle. It's a bit too much for the 6", luckily I also have the bigger Kindle DX and it's fine on that.

I have a copy for sale, hardback, in mint condition for £10 plus £2 p & p if anyones interested.

I cant be bothered to advertise it as theres generally too much in the way of timewasters these days. Plus of course the usual " I have interest in your book I can send you bankers draft for £1000, my shipping agent will collect the book" etc etc.............yea right, like I was born yesterday!

I have a copy for sale, hardback, in mint condition for £10 plus £2 p & p if anyones interested.

I cant be bothered to advertise it as theres generally too much in the way of timewasters these days. Plus of course the usual " I have interest in your book I can send you bankers draft for £1000, my shipping agent will collect the book" etc etc.............yea right, like I was born yesterday!

/

so is this the upto date version or an old copy

cheers

Never read it, but have been told by forum folks it is a good read for the beginner. I was advised to wait until the 4th edition comes out. Can't find a date for that but on Dan Davis (author) website, it mentions a revamp and they are working on the 4th addition to be release 2011 (no date though). Didn't link it as not sure forum rulers would appreciate direct hyperlinks. It says it will contain info on bigger scopes (like 4-8" Dobs). Not sure what else. Thinking of waiting but getting both the 3rd and 4th maybe a good coverage of small to fairly large scopes plus targets. (Think I'll look out for and old 2nd hard copy or cheap paper back verion of the 3rd).

Does anyone knows the release date of the 4th edition?

Archived