sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Wanting to explore the universe for myself - looking for a telescope

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andy - setting up an eq mount is a doddle once you get used to it - bear in mind it's the mount that you are pointing at polaris, so set the correct angle for your location, make sure it's perfectly level and pointing North and adjust with the alt/az screws. Then the scope should be able to track in one plane and you'll only need to turn one control cable.

Nice choice of scope btw - you'll have years of fun with it :)

Thanks for all your help and tips and links. It's much appreciated. I'm definitely going to order a monthly mag, Sky At Night looks like a good bet.

The telescope arrived in the post yesterday, I'll be setting it up this weekend as it will probably take some time to do it. It came with a free moon filter, and I also ordered a light pollution filter, which the bloke in the shop said will help.

Do you guys take your telescope outside in the garden when you use it? Or is it more normal to set it up in front of a window indoors looking out? I think I'll need to take it outside each time? The 200P with EQ mount might be a lot to move around each time, so I'll have to play it by ear when I use it, regarding where to store it and move it afterwards.

Andy

Edited by AndyBaker

Do you guys take your telescope outside in the garden when you use it? Or is it more normal to set it up in front of a window indoors looking out? I think I'll need to take it outside each time?

Andy

You have to take it outside - through a window you will lose a huge amount of light in reflections, and introduce distortion. Sorry, but you need to develop your scope-lugging muscles.

- Richard

Observing from inside produces out of focus images as the air currents cause distortion to the light.

For best quality views the scope needs to be outside at environment temperature. If you store it inside then move it out and start observing right away, you'll get the same out of focus effect specially at high mags. The scope should be put outside for cooling 30min to 1 hour prior to observation. Or you can also do as I do and store it in the garage for minimum cool down periods. Just be careful if you get too many spiders in the garage. Cleaning a spider web from the inside of the scope ain't easy.

Edited by pvaz

Thanks for all your help and tips and links. It's much appreciated. I'm definitely going to order a monthly mag, Sky At Night looks like a good bet.

Sky at Night magazine are doing a five months for £5 deal if you sign up for a year's subscription...so five issues for a pound each followed by 12 at normal subscription rate (which is over a pound cheaper each month than the newsagent cover price)...!

Phone 0844 844 0254 and quote code SPA56 - the offer may still be on so be quick :)

Cheers, sounds good.

I'll be keeping it in the shed. Please anyone shout up if you're aware that keeping a telescope in a normal garden shed could damage anything on the telescope, sub-zero temperature-wise in the winter.

Thanks

Andy

Cheers, sounds good.

I'll be keeping it in the shed. Please anyone shout up if you're aware that keeping a telescope in a normal garden shed could damage anything on the telescope, sub-zero temperature-wise in the winter.

Thanks

Andy

As long as it's dry you're fine. I've had several telescopes in a shed outdoors for years. No ill effects except for the time that a spider found its way inside the SCT and I had to open it up to get the web out.

Got my telescope setup on Wednesday night and saw my first glimpse of Mars. Fantastic! I'm still in the process of setting up the mount so I can use it properly, getting there slowly. I thought the manual was Rubbish, but after reading a lot of forums and posts here, it looks like I'm not alone in thinking this. The closer I get to setting it up properly, the more I can see how rewarding it's going to be. I'll keep you posed.

Thanks again for your help, looks like I've made the right choice of telescope and mount.

Andy

Edited by AndyBaker

I’m thinking of spending between £250 and £300, although up to £400 might be okay. Reading some of the forums so far, it looks like a Skywatcher EXPLORER-150P (EQ3-2) would be a good buy.

Hello Andy....I am a newbie to astronomy and have just ordered and received delivery of the Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 telescope from First Light Optics. I received loads of really helpful advice from the wonderful people on this forum with regard to what to go for as a first scope.

The scope was simple to set up and colimate but is a lot larger than I thought it would be when mounted on the EQ3-2....when all put together it covers a footprint of 1metre square and stands at 1.8 metre tall so is quite a lump but would make a nice centrepiece in your living room ;)

I haven't used the scope yet for viewing due to cloud cover since it arrived but so far so good!