SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Im thinking about emigrating.. which Country??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about food!..i think i'll skip emigrating and open up a Kangaroo/goat/carp Curry house, i'll be able to buy my own island within a couple of years if i open it anywhere near you hungry nosed lot!:)

Some excellent selections reguards a country mind, quite spoilt for choice...who said it was a small world!;)

• 1 year later...

USA dweller here, so sticking to these parts. Alaska was mentioned above a couple times. I've been there 3 times in the last 7 years, in Jan. Feb. and Mar. Definitely a beautiful place and on my short list of retirement locations, but for my wife and I South Dakota gets the nod. We lived in the eastern side near Sioux Falls in the late '90's and plan to retire to the western side near Rapid City.

Top 5 for me would be:

South Dakota (lived 2+ years)

Wyoming (visited 10+ times)

Montana (visited 5+ times)

Colorado (lived 2+ years)

Alaska (visited 3 times)

All of these are fairly low cost of living, low population density, nice skies, beautiful mountains, great people, lots of wildlife and very much into hunting, fishing, etc.

Interesting though. Did anyone actually move, I certainly didn't go to Canada!

Montana, there's a thought. Little Big Horn, Helena, Bilings, Miles City, etc.

Read a SF novel many years ago called 'Fade Out'. Alien spaceship lands at a place called Crow Ridge, Montana. Is there such a place?

you could do worse than Tenerife. great weather all year round, diverse landscapes, touristy areas when you want them (and shops etc), not too far from home, and (I believe) in the top 5 sites in the world for astronomy.

Read a SF novel many years ago called 'Fade Out'. Alien spaceship lands at a place called Crow Ridge, Montana. Is there such a place?

Did the aliens take it with them in the novel? Google maps doesn't list Crow Ridge, MT.

.......One thing that appeals about Alaska as part of the USA is you can have guns. I had a friend in the USA who used to go out and hunt to fill her freezer. I'd love to have a go at that, but I've never seen the point of trying to sort out a licence here, even though I am partial to a rabbit occasionally. In NZ, people hunt wild pigs, but I don't think there's much else in the wild worth putting in the freezer. I guess Australia's much the same, apart from wild goats, kangaroos and crocs, there's not much - and of the three of them, I love goat, but kangaroo isn't worth eating, and I doubt crocodile is much better.

M.

You want to be in a place where guns are allowed, there's regular shooting and plenty of wild life?

Look no further - come to sunny South Africa.

Only problem is......the wild life shoot first and are not edible if you shoot back and manage a kill.....

I was quite surprised to learn that Alaska had the highest proportion of people on welfare benefits. But there are probably two (more?) sides to this:

Archived Blog: Alaska, the 'welfare state'

I must admit I don't feel too much of an urge to "kill my own dinner" though. I'm sure BBC TV could make a(nother?) series entitled something like that! LOL. That said, my young-teen Dad used to carry an (air) rifle at all times and, according to him anyway, reduced the fauna of darkest Shropshire considerably. An occasional (pre-war, non-myxie) Rabbit for the pot... :)

I'm very happy in SE France. The sky is world class, though very close to the horizon it can be beaten in a few places. With 21.6 or 21.7 at the Zenith on the Sky Quality Meter it clearly can't be beaten by much up there! Between deep Provence (expensive and somewhat light polluted) and the Alps (too many summer storms) you have the never-never land of the SW High Alpes in which we live. The landscapes are Provencale more than Alpine. Traffic is near non-existant, prices are low, health care is good and the wildlife doesn't bite but is plentiful and a delight to see. You get four seasons. There is minimal LP and no real danger of it springing up because the economy is subdued.

I like it. and since over 85% of our gite and B and B guests rebook I suppose they do too. One thing is vital though. You absolutely must learn the language if you choose a non anglophone country. My uncle lived for thirty years in Spain without every bothering and I really do think that's terrible, both from the person concerned's point of view and because of the lack of respect it shows.

Olly

you could do worse than Tenerife. great weather all year round, diverse landscapes, touristy areas when you want them (and shops etc), not too far from home, and (I believe) in the top 5 sites in the world for astronomy.

There are two tenerifes (not literally, but from as astro standpoint). There is the holiday island, with its resorts all round the edge and there is the mountainous inland region.

The holiday resorts would be a terrible place to go for astronomy: crowded, expensive, frequently cloudy - esp. in the north and very light polluted. The interior is better, but the best parts are above the cloud level. The problem with that is it's all national park and you're not allowed to build there - so the few houses that already exist are very, expensive.

A better place would be La Palma, or one of the smaller islands in the Canaries, though the smaller you go the fewer facilities (shops, hospitals, tradesmen), fewer choices and higher costs you'll get.

If you wanted the ultimate amateur astronomy location, how about Namibia?

Australia by far and away. Just think of a Belgian summer and your not far off an Aussie winter.:)

I really wish I had my telescope before I moved, where I was living for a good chunk of time there was zero LP or a 5 minute drive away from any significant lighting.

If anyone thinks Kangaroo is too chewy I can tell you you're not doing it right at all. Still, each to their own. Best seafood in the world too.

Firstly, it wasn't me that is better off by £161M

France, Canada, New South Island, Hawaii Big Island - there's a place. So perhaps a pad and telescopes at each of them and visiting by private yacht. Perhaps Scandinavia and Netherlands too.

Practicalities.Having said all that it has to be, for me, England. I am more than aware of its shortcomings - but that is wherever you go. It is too easy to forget the infrastructure here. Medical, transport, all shopping at a stone's throw, the excitement of a clear sky etc etc. The most important is that my income is in sterling and am not willing to have that eroded by currency fluctuations. Vis-a-vis Europe, USA, Rest of the World. And you are bound to run into a gaggle of ex pats.

(Am I the only one to say England?)

I am quite happy where i am thank you very much (-:

You should be...........:)

All you lot need to do now is learn to play decent cricket and decent rugby..........:(

Hat, coat..........:)

Archived