Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Im thinking about emigrating.. which Country??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not anti-social, not unsociable, more asocial. It is the anti-social elements I want to avoid, but you find them in every society, so to avoid them, you have to avoid society. I am quite misanthropic, though, I have a very poor view of humans and human nature, I'm afraid. I prefer creation and the non-human creatures that inhabit it.

M.

You could go for this job....if he needs a break :)

Known as the "Indian on the top of the world", Babi is the crane operator at the world's tallest building , the 819-meter Burj Dubai. His office, the cramped crane cab perched on top of the Burj, is also his home. Apparently it takes too long to come down to the ground each day to make it worthwhile. When the building is completed, its elevators will be the world's fastest.

Stories about his daily dalliance with death are discussed in revered terms by Dubai 's workers. Some say he has been up there for more than a year, others whisper that he's paid 30,000 dirhams ($8,168) a month compared with the average wage of 800 dirhams a month. All agree he's worth it.

Be good for a scope as well :D

post-18087-133877422162_thumb.jpg

Looks lovely, but also looks cold. I love Norway & Iceland. But we will get all that stuff in New Zealand. Fjords, Glaciers, Thermal Springs, Geisers, Hot Pools, ski-ing, beaches, surf.

Met a guy in the Corromandel who lives in a shack and makes kitchen knives out of old axel-springs. Lives with a gun-dog and chickens, nearest neighbour out of sight. And that's a polular part. There's parts of New Zealand that are sparseley populated.

I'd have trouble getting to live in Alaska, as it is part of the USA, but as my partner is a Kiwi, we can get to live there - once we get through the mountains of paperwork involved in getting me naturalised. From there, Australia or the Pacific Islands.

Born here, lived here all my life. Used to love it, now I can't wait to get out. Very sad. It has been wrecked and is overcrowded. Apparently more Brits leave the UK every year than people coming in - yet it still keeps getting more crowded.

One thing that appeals about Alaska as part of the USA is you can have guns. I had a friend in the USA who used to go out and hunt to fill her freezer. I'd love to have a go at that, but I've never seen the point of trying to sort out a licence here, even though I am partial to a rabbit occasionally. In NZ, people hunt wild pigs, but I don't think there's much else in the wild worth putting in the freezer. I guess Australia's much the same, apart from wild goats, kangaroos and crocs, there's not much - and of the three of them, I love goat, but kangaroo isn't worth eating, and I doubt crocodile is much better.

M.

I could gladly live in New Zealand, by the sea.

The main reason why I suggested south European countries (Portugal, Spain and Greece) was to avoid all the paper work of getting in and since they are close, you can easily catch a plain back to UK for a visit, and be home in just a couple of hours. It's almost like catching a bus. The south of France is also great but life there is much more expensive. Your social security is also valid within the EU. If you leave the EU will need to worry about a good health insurance. (Not that our health care system is anything special, but it more or less works.)

France would get my vote. Good wine, good food, a pride in their own culture, more space fewer people, part of EU so less paperwork, cheaper housing, greater community spirit, need I continue..........

Just told our friends in the south of France about our new telescope, they reckon they can see so many stars that they have trouble picking out the Plough!

If you want isolation, excellent skies, cheap (really cheap) housing and a decent standard of living how about Namibia? Doesn't suffer from the same level of crime as SA and is both beautiful and empty. I know a couple of UK people who have retired there and they seem healthier as well as happier - and they're not astronomers! Because it is so dry the night skies are usually phenomenally clear.

This thread is not helping my yearly bout of Wanderlust...

A crazy decision this time of year (before the kids came along) resulted us leaving our jobs, selling everything up and backpacking around Europe for a bit.

You do miss the "British" Culture after a while.

The Wanderlust is strong this year, and I am yearning for Canada...if we were to leave the UK to start a new life it would be Canada. :)

Mish,

Kangaroo meat is one of the most healthy meats you can eat!

Google to verify!

Maybe so, but I didn't like it. Too chewy. Just because it's good for you doesn't mean it's nice. In fact, most things that aren't are, and most things that are aren't. That's why we tend to prefer things that aren't. Like butter.

M.

prefer goat and its easier to get hold of, skippy is too fast and far away for me :) lol

and carp is a good eating fish (from running water)

I love goat curry. Never tried carp, or any fresh-water fish apart from salmon & trout. Freshwater crayfish sounds worth trying. Had crayfish in Kaikoura the size of lobsters, yummy. Apparently they'd walked all the way round the South Island just so I could one of them...

M.

Kiwi beer's not bad, although personally I think Belgian beer is king. Hawaii would be good - but again, USA, hard to get to live there. I'd settle for any of the Pacific Islands, although apart from the beer the ex-pats take with them, the beers not good. Vanuatu you get some good French-influenced cuisine. I think French & Italian food is the thing I'll miss most - although I don't often get to France these days.

M.

Archived