Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 12" Premium Dobsonian

hi all

I have now decided on a 12" dob and will sell some expensive but relatively unused books to pay for one shortly.

this Revelation 12" Premium Dobsonian seems incredible spec for the money esp the dual crayford / 12th wave optics.

anyone any experience of this latest batch of revelation dobs?

I don't worry about the quality of the base too much as I am pretty handy at woodwork etc and an inverterate tinker anyway so will probably mod it as soon as I get it anyway! at this price and spec. I see no reason to buy used!

cheers

Shane

It's a great value scope but don't get too carried away by the "1/12 wave optics" 1/4 - 1/6 wave (pv) is more likely I reckon but that's fine and can still produce excellent performance when the mirrors ae in good collimation. The optics and mirror cells are the same as those used on the Meade Lightbridge 12" so the collimation springs might need uprating as they do on the Meade. I've heard rumours that the early ones were not quartz overcoated (the mirrors that is) so it might be worth asking if the latest ones are - the coatings will last a lot longer with the overcoating.

That said, I agree they are good value and well worth considering - all dobsonians have some issues that need "tweaking" to get the best from them.

cheers both for the advice.

I am a tinkerer anyway so don't mind mods being needed.

I am thinking possibly about a better quality used scope now but will bear this in mind too.

is it likely that a faster (f4) scope with better optics (1/8th wave) would (if well collimated) give much better results than this scope all other things being equal?

cheers

Shane

....is it likely that a faster (f4) scope with better optics (1/8th wave) would (if well collimated) give much better results than this scope all other things being equal?....

Possibly but i) accurate collimation will be REALLY critical at F/4, ii) a scope as fast as that will demand premium eyepieces and iii) you might find a coma corrector an essential at F/4 wheras it's perhaps optional at F/5.

Archived