SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR question, help please

LunarLight

Hey guys

I asked a similar question a image I posted but no one answered so I figured I would ask here, seems like a more appropriate place.

Is there a way to increase the magnification when attaching DSLR's directly to your scope? is there a way to use barlows or eyepieces with them instead of just having a lens less DSLR attached to the scope?

sorry if this has been asked a million times and thanks for the advice in advance :-D

Mark

Yes you can do that. I have both a 2" and 1.25" DSLR connection thingy and have used the 1.25" one with a 2 X Barlow - with not very good results though - that was most likely me rather than the equipment. With a barlow in there, guiding, alignment and focus become even more important.

Sam

Yes you can put a barlow in place, but remember that adding a 2x barlow will reduce the light by 4x (Squared) therefore you will need to image for 4 times as long per exposure and hence increase noise, stsr trails etc.

It is common to do this for bright objects such as planets, but not really much point for DSO.

I consider myself as fairly good at imaging with my ED120 refractor, but I attempted the horse head at 3x barlows and the results were very very poor.

I depends really on what you want to see.

If it is panetary then cool. If DSO then the reduction on F Stop will kill you.

Basically you are taking a picture of what you see through the eyepiece and bright objects will work, DSO will struggle due to F Stop reduction.

great to see so many replies :-D

im very new to imaging so this information is really useful.

lightbucket - is the connection thingy just a normal T- Adapter? or does it have a specific name?

Catanonia - oh I didnt know that, it could be a problem as I dont have and guidance on my scope. I guess I could get a RA motor for my EQ5 that would do right?

Barlow use would be for the moon and planets, especially Mars. I would imagine that things like Orion nebula and M31 would be best without barlow's etc.

Cornelius Varley - hey thanks for that, much appreciated :)

Scott Tilley - ah im glad you mentioned that! is the baadar any good? I have heard mixed reports about zoom eyepieces

Hi, yes you can stack your DSLR images.

I have a celestron adapter which basically lets you put your dslr through an eyepiece. It is supposed to be good for planetary pics, but I wasn't convinced. IMHO you will get the best results by sticking to plain old camera on the telescope. There are a few factors involved, but quite often, depending on equipment, it would be better to increase size in software rather than try to do it at the lens.

TJ

Yes, DeepSkyStacker will stack your DSLR images

I have had some success using a 1.5x 2"barlow with a DSLR, but as already stated, exposure times increase proportionally, so it's not the best option, but your combination of the 200p/DSLR at prime focus is ideally suited to lots of DSO stuff

I use a 2x teleconverter, standard canon fit for lunar shots with the C80ED. I did use it for an image of the owl cluster, but that was less as a serious imaging attempt and more to test out the guiding, I figured that if I double the focal length of the scope, and could get good guiding, there would be no problem with normal usage. The problem, as has been mentioned is the large amount of light loss...

BeyondVision - is that extra exposure time even required when shooting the moon?

TJ - hmm sounds like adding barlows etc to DSLRs wont end well, shame like.

as for what I want to image, would be nice to get some DSOs such as m31 and m51 but wanted the extra magnification for jupiter saturn and mars.

Should say a bit about what I use to. I have a skywatcher explorer 200p with non motorised EQ5 and im using mums nikon D300 :-)

swashy - :-) im glad the 200p will be able to get some good DSOs like thats what I wanted to hear... now just need to wait for a clear night! fingers crossed

MishMich + jgs001 + oceanheadted - thanks for the advice, guess having a ccd is the best option for using barlows when imaging yeah?

Scott Tilley - I dont really have the option of trying it out before buying as I cant access any astro clubs round here. I dont drive which sucks.

really interested in this zoom lense though sounds cool

Archived