Narrowband

Eyepiece question for Celestron CPC owners

alfingido

I am thinking about upgrading a few of my eyepieces since getting my CPC 925.

Any recommendations / best ones ( within reason, I cant afford Ethos!) you use ?

I quite fancy a nice UWA or two, all my current eyepieces are about 45 -50 degrees.

Currently I have a Meade 4000 zoom, 8 to 24 mm. Televue 11mm plossl, 26mm 40mm SW Super Plossls, Meade 32mm Plossl and Celestron 40mm E-Lux Plossl ( came with the scope)

I also have an f6.3 focal reducer.

I will definately be keeping the Meade zoom but would like to compliment it with a couple of nice UWA's

I use the scope to look at everything I can, I have no real preferences for planetary or DSO's, but I love DSO's!

Allan

The eyepieces I use every day are Meade Series 5000 Super Plossl (60 degree field), they're mid price & work really well in an SCT. The similarly priced Baader Genuine Ortho is better in short focal lengths (down to 9mm, IMHO there's no point in having anything shorter in a f/10 scope) but you say you don't want 47 degree field so ....

With an f/10 scope you need a good 40mm eyepiece for low power; the real problem with the E-lux (standard Plossl) supplied with the CPC scopes is that it's 1.25" fitting, you can't even get the normal 50 degree field into a 1.25" tube at 40mm. The first upgrade you should be thinking about is a 2" visual back and a good quality 2" diagonal. When you have that, the 40mm Meade series 5000 will give you about as much field as the baffling in your scope will permit. More exotic 40mm super/ultra wide field EPs tend to be very heavy & will likely upset the balance of your scope enough to need a counterweight set.

Brian, I like the idea of a 2" UWA 40mm ep for starters and something smaller as Helen suggests. Would a 1.25" 16mm UWA be ok or should I go for 2" at this size?

Just need to scan the for sale ads now.....

Allan

You'll be fine with the 1.25" (no point in a 2" eyepiece at this size)

Agreed. And do check out the size & weight of e.g. a 40mm series 5000 UWA BEFORE you buy one. They ain't dubbed "pineapple" or "holy hand grenade" for nothin'.

One thing I can same about EPs is go for the quality you can afford.

I only really appreciated this after having used my first scope for about a year ( Celestron Nextstar 6se ) It came with the 25mm E-Lux and I bought a 32mm plossle and a 6.3mm plossle. Being a novice I was thrilled to see my first views of the cosmos but wondered if I would get better views if I bought some higher quality EPs.

After a bit of deliberation I purchased a Vixen 40mm widefield. Money well spent I thought, in comparison to the 40mm E-Lux that came with my cpc 925 the views are superb.

I then filled the gap in the range of EPs I use and went and acquired three Televue EPs,Nagler 9mm Type 6,Radian 12 and 18mm. I know using a Barlow lens could have saved me from buying a couple of them but having used a Celestron Omni barlow I preferred cutting out that link to give more power.

I am now really pleased with the views I get and in the very few occasions I have been out in past few months have been lucky,due to excellent seeing,to have had some wondrous views using them.

Good Luck with your new choice, Hope we all get some clear skies soon!

Alan

Celestron cpc 925

Celestron Nextstar 6se

Vixen/Televue EPs

Canon 1000D

Archived