SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Case for C8 OTA?

I'd really like to put my C8 OTA in a hard case when it isn't in use but nobody seems to make a hard case for it.

Has anyone solved this for theor C8 or have any suggestions?

I suppose I could get a flight case purpose made but I suspect that would be quite costly.

JIm

I bought a large storage container from B&Q when i had a C8. And aquired some foam to cut to size. I need to do the same again now for the Meade ota.

Russ

I have the same for my C6 - 6 quid out of B&Q. For my C9.25 I have a large aluminium case I got off Ebay for 35 quid (similar to this Aluminium Boxes - D Range but a lot cheaper).

Russ

If you aren't planning for it to be used for rough movement and primarily want it for storage at home or for carrying in the car I can recommend a rolling tool chest made by Stanley.

The one I have has an internal tray. I had to cut part of it away to accommodate the finder scope and a top mounted rail on he C8, but that actually helps to keep it secure in the box.

The tray has enough space for diagonals, dew straps and other bits and pieces.

The top is secured at either end. It has 2 clear storage areas that are big enough for some eyepieces (not big panoptics or naglers) or other smallish items.

It has a top handle and a handle that pulls out from one end with the wheels at the other. So it pulls along like an airline trolley case.

I would not plan to take it on an airplane as it's not padded - but I don't take my kit on holiday anyway.

Finally, it is quite light so the whole thing can be easily picked up, and of course it was much cheaper than a Peli or Storm padded case.

Peter

Hi Peter. I know the stanley box you are talking about. It is black with two wheels, a padded pull out handle and a yellow tray. I used to use one for my scuba equipment. It had lots of room. I was also thinking of using one for the C8 and the tray for accessories.

The trouble is that I seem to be adding more and more onto my OTA at the moment. One dovetail for mounting to EQ6 and another on the opposite side for a guidescope. So it doesn't sound like it would all fit. I was considering a quick release bracket for the finder scope. The guidescope would be on a dovetail mount so could be removed easily and quickly for storage separately.

Jim

Hi Beetlejuice. Thanks for the link to case market. I'll have a good read of what they've got and see if any will do the job.

Jim

Hi Jim.

No problem. Actually I'm just back from B&Q on a paint buying expedition and while I was there I spotted this B&Q Core Storage Packer Grey Lid Large, 1327 Looks like it would be ideal. It's one big compartment but plenty of room for accesories as well as the OTA.

Bob

Sheesh! I know I said I was going for the flight case option. They're £75. I'm going for the same footprint size again but not as high for the EQ6 head. But having said all that, foam seems to be damned expensive stuff!

£75 per flight case. Then £47 + vat to fill the smaller case with pick+pluck foam and £80+vat again for the larger case!!!!

Still. Should have a really nice storage setup when complete. I'll post some photos when it's all done if anyone is interested.

Sheesh! I know I said I was going for the flight case option. They're £75. I'm going for the same footprint size again but not as high for the EQ6 head. But having said all that, foam seems to be damned expensive stuff!

£75 per flight case. Then £47 + vat to fill the smaller case with pick+pluck foam and £80+vat again for the larger case!!!!

Still. Should have a really nice storage setup when complete. I'll post some photos when it's all done if anyone is interested.

Yes, pluck foam is extortionate. I couldn't justify the cost. Why do you need it for the C8 case? - you'll be chucking most of it away. Just use plain foam of various thicknesses. Make cardboard templates (your local foam centre will do most of the cutting for free) and then just cut the foam out carefully with a steel ruler as a guide and an Exacto knife. If youre not shipping it, it only has to protect against minor knocks. In fact, for my C6 I just use a couple of old beach towels in a plastic B&Q storage box. It works!

I guess I'm just a fussy perfectionist! Besides, I do intend to transport it once in a while up to my sisters place in the wilds of Scotland for some dark sky work. So I'd prefer to pack it as well as I can as they live off some dirt / rocky track in the middle of nowhere. You know the sort of place - no electricity, sewage etc...

• 2 weeks later...

I finished making a case for my C8. In the end I have made two cases. One for a C8, WO Megrez 72 plus a removable accessory tray that contains all my bits necessary for visual work. The tray has rubber feet and two handles.

The second case contains the head of an EQ6 mount, hand controller, logitech wireless rumblepad + USB adapter, led red light, kendrick dew controller and cables. I have made space under most items so that cables can be tucked away neatly.

The two cases have the same footprint and can be stacked on top of one another.

I intend to make up a third case to house the tripod and weights. This one will have two wheel at one end for easy transport.

A fourth briefcase style case will be fitted out with astrophotography equipment.

The cases are from Flight Cases : Buy New and Used Flight Cases Online. Both cases without foam cost about £75 (£1 different between them). The foam is what they call Jiffy foam. It's quite solid unlike egg crate foam or cushion/furniture foam. So it holds heavy items like the EQ6 head firmly without losing its shape. The foam is very expensive. It cost about the same amount as the large case to fill the large case with foam. Being a harder foam, it is easy to shape. I used a band saw for straignt cuts, a hobbyist fretsaw (electric) for curves and a pillar drill for eyepiece holes etc. All these tools I already owned but haven't used for 15 years - except the pillar drill which I bought to do straight / perpendicular holes (wanted one of these for ages).

post-18457-133877425133_thumb.jpg

post-18457-13387742514_thumb.jpg

post-18457-133877425146_thumb.jpg

post-18457-133877425153_thumb.jpg

post-18457-133877425161_thumb.jpg

Archived