Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from Jamaica :)

crazy1here

Hey folks.

Just wanted to say hey and looking forward to lots of time here reading about it all. Im a TOTAL newbie to the sky, got a scope for christmas and trying to learn it all :).

Any tips/advice would be very much appreciated.

I got a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT.

Welcome Crazy person from Ja. Where abouts are you? I spent 3 months working in Jamaica as a medical student and have some amazing memories of the place and it's people - mainly of sitting in a bar with a bottle of white rum, a bowl of ice and a carton of milk listening to home spun philosophy. Some fantastic dark skies out there.

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Im in St Catherine, nearby Spanish Town Martin, good to see you enjoyed your white rum lol :D. Where did you do your 3 months here?

1980 shortly before the elections. 5 weeks at the University Hospital at Mona then 5 weeks at a small hospital in Port Antonio followed by a couple of weeks touring round. We went all over using the minibuses. My favourite place was Port Antonio and surrounding areas. I'd love to go back. I remeber lying on the small beach there opposite Navy Island and being spell bound by the amazing starry sky.

Hi crazy, welcome.

I've a few good memories from Jamaica. My first trip to the tropics, my first view of the tropical moon at Kingston airport when I stepped off the plane into that hot, humid air. My first palm tree. Drinking red stripe, drinking rum. My first pelican down in the harbour, a huge shark splashing about by the small boat that took us out to the rig. 2 weeks grafting in the heat, just a few miles from shore but unable to get there for a night out, then the tow over to Mexico. The start of my overseas career.

Hi. Crazy1, and nice to have Jamaica represented on SGL.

I would have thought a telescope would be superfluous to requirements under Jamaican skies:D.

Still, it will get you closer to heaven, but Jamaica itself is almost there I would guess. Any help you need, will certainly be given, just ask all the questions you want. Hundreds of willing helpers here.

Enjoy the Forum.:)

Ron.:D

1980 shortly before the elections. 5 weeks at the University Hospital at Mona then 5 weeks at a small hospital in Port Antonio followed by a couple of weeks touring round. We went all over using the minibuses. My favourite place was Port Antonio and surrounding areas. I'd love to go back. I remeber lying on the small beach there opposite Navy Island and being spell bound by the amazing starry sky.

Nice, Navy island is pretty awesome I will admit, Ive always loved it there, back then I didnt have the appreciation I have now for the sky so I missed out I guess :).

Archived