740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

eyepiece help

simon84

I'm being really rubbish, or really lazy or maybe a bit of both but I've been reading stuff on here and in the magazines and looking on websites and now I have so much information I cant make head nor tail of it.

My folks want to buy me some EP's for my birthday, not sure what there budget is but I'd like to give them some idea of what I want.

I'm currently using the two EP's that were supplied with my scope, an f5 Explorer 300P, a 10mm and a 25mm plossl. I also have a 32mm SWA 70 degree fov.

I try to view everything from planets, nebulas to double stars and the moon, so what in your opinion would be an ideal set of 2 or 3 EP's that would give me some nice views but not make my folks fall over when I show them what I would like?

Cheers in advance.

Simon.

What do you think you're missing in the eyepiece set you currently have? Low mags, high mags.... and even though you don't know what their budget is - give us a clue what and amount that wouldn't make them fall over would be...

Edited by arad85

Well I'd like to upgrade the standard plossls that came with the scope and add a high power EP for planetary viewing.

I've been looking at a set of 25mm, 9mm and 6mm Vixen Lanthanum EP's and with the addition of my 32mm would seem to make an ideal set for now.

Money wise, knowing my parents I'm probably looking at between £100 to £150.

You'll have a gap between 25mm and 9mm, so perhaps something in the 14mm range might be advised. I also use a 300mm f/5 scope and I find my 13mm Nagler gets a lot of use, you might consider a wide angle eyepiece in the 14mm range.

The Vixens are a good choice and should provide you with soem excellent viewing.

Is there anyone at your local club who can let you use some of their eyepieces so that you can get an idea of how they work?

Paul

Alas its not my 21st, more like my 35th but my folks love me so what can I say...lol.

I don't belong to a club unfortunately, not had much luck finding one near me.

I'll have to have a look around for a 14mm wide field, are there any that you can recommend?

I have a 2" revelation ED 2x barlow that I use with my 32mm but I forgot to mention that.

Just another question, a 6mm EP will give me 250x with my scope, as its f5 am I pushing my luck if I tried to use a 4mm to get 375x?

Just another question, a 6mm EP will give me 250x with my scope, as its f5 am I pushing my luck if I tried to use a 4mm to get 375x?

It's certainly capable of 375x but not sure how many chances you'll get to use it though. Steady skies don't come along that often.

Edited by russ

Thanks for all your advice. I've got myself the Vixen 25mm, 9mm, 6mm and 4mm EP's, thanks Mum and Dad!!

Just on the lookout now for something to fill that gap between the 25 and the 9.

Any chance you two know what the lottery numbers are this weekend? It seems your Jedi mind powers are stronger than mine :)

Any chance you two know what the lottery numbers are this weekend? It seems your Jedi mind powers are stronger than mine :D

Why not try 25, 9, 6 and 4 (your birthday pressies) plus some combination of your age and date of birth ? - bound to come up I'd have thought ;)

PS: I'd like an Ethos 21mm and 8mm if you do win big time please :)

Why not try 25, 9, 6 and 4 (your birthday pressies) plus some combination of your age and date of birth ? - bound to come up I'd have thought :D

PS: I'd like an Ethos 21mm and 8mm if you do win big time please :)

Trouble is if I start doing my own numbers I'll have to play every week otherwise you know what might happen.......

I'm sure I could stretch to a couple of EP's and a powermate if my bank account were suddenly enriched with 4 million. ;)

I have had a lot fun with my LVs, they are nice EPs to work with. Regarding the gap between the 25 and the 9, I had the same gap for years, until I got the Meade 14mm UWA. Great EP, is often the first one I grab. However, it pushed out the 26mm, because the true FOV of a Plosll (and LV) at 25 mm is only slightly bigger than the 14mm UWA. The image through the latter is WAY more impressive. Getting a 13 mm Nagler would have the same effect.

Truth is, the moment one EP has a seriously larger AFOV than the rest, you want to replace the rest as well, and you just got your LVs!

As they say here: "Better is the enemy of good"

Edited by michael.h.f.wilkinson

In some ways a 16mm UWAN might not fit well in your collection - it would sort of render the 25mm LV redundant because the UWAN shows just as big an area of sky !.

Edited by John

Check the second hand sites such as astrobuysell.com/uk, bargains come up regularly, I can't remember the last time that I bought a new eyepiece.

The Meade 14mm UWA gets some great reviews on the web, like Michael my 13mm Nagler gets more use than any other eyepiece as it has the combination of field of view and magnification that lets me see most everything.

Thanks everyone for all your help on this. Not only did I get a nice set of EP's I also found a really great local club with some smashing people last night.

I'm going to leave filling that gap with another EP for now as I'll just use my Rigel 32mm in my 2x barlow, it'll keep me going.

Thanks again.