Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

lostinspace

building my own observatory?

hi guys, i`m thinking of building my own(and who ever i know wants to use it) observatory. i`ve checked out a fair few online and think i could manage it ok. i have a background in fibreglass resin construction and think this might be the way to go. does anyone have any experiances with home made obs and are they user friendly. can anyone offer any improvements or things i should include in my design? like a hole in the roof.... or maid. my girlfriend suggested a power point for her hair straightners( not sure she gets it, its not a walk in wardrobe, i said). i should say that i am considering a shape traditional in design. :)

There are a lot of people on here who have their own obs. (I'm not (yet) one of them).

Have a look around and check people's signatures. Some have links to pictures of their observatories.

I have an 8x10 roll off roof obs. Its the best thing i`ve ever done (not sure the missus is an agreement though but it was HER idea!!!). DO IT you WON`T regret it!!!!

Alan:)

I have an 8x10 roll off roof obs. Its the best thing i`ve ever done (not sure the missus is an agreement though but it was HER idea!!!). DO IT you WON`T regret it!!!!

do you have any pics of your roll off ob? i`m not sure i`ve seen one? thanks moocher

Not on his PC but i can upload some tomorrow for you? I must ad at this point the large majority of the work was done by one of my best mates Richard....:)

Hi Lostinspace

I guess with a background in fibreglassing (if thats the right word for it), then you may want to consider something with a traditional domed roof.

This is something i am working on myself at the moment, although being a novice with fibreglass it could end up being more of a challenge than i anticipate!

The basic shell of my obs is a timber stud frame clad with Upvc shiplap, then the plan is to construct the dome from ply and cover it with fibreglass.

Most of the 'plans' for the roof i am taking from the Sky at night magazine... the November issue had part 3 of the obs build and this covered the roof section.

I aim to commence mine at the beginning of Feb, so i will be posting pics as i go...

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Edited by Spence

im thinking about making my own ob, it will save a lot of rime draging your scope outside when its all there ready and waiting and plus a good place to hide them away =]

Most of the 'plans' for the roof i am taking from the Sky at night magazine... the November issue had part 3 of the obs build and this covered the roof section.

I.

hi spence. it would be interesting to see how The Sky At Night mag suggest how to tackle the roof problem. i understand however that a solid (by that i mean concrete) floor is essential to prevent scope wobble. (can anyone shed some light on this?) also, are the back issues for the obs build still available anywhere do you know(the sky at night mag). well jolly good luck with your build and if you run into any problems with the laminating(fibreglassing) just post me here or email(on my profile) and ill be glad to talk you through it, if your build is close enough i could even lend a hand if you like. john:bino2:

really nice work here bizibuilder, gives me a a lot more to think about than i had anticipated. however, im not in a huge rush, i may be relatively new to astronomy but i'd like to think that when i am old and hopefully wiser, my love of looking to the skys will still hold fast. i cant stop looking at my scope, its beautifull too! i can only imagine the pleasure a observtory would give, especally self made. thanks for sharin your pics bizi, what smashing wife you have, getting stuck right in. were they your own plans or from elsewhere? i want one so much now, i am learning patience in bucket loads of late:clouds1::).anyhow, thanks again for showing me whats in store, kind regards to you and your clan.. john

im thinking about making my own ob, it will save a lot of rime draging your scope outside when its all there ready and waiting and plus a good place to hide them away =]

too true brunty, i have mine in my bedroom( i love it that much:icon_eek:) however it does need a permenant home else one day captainclumbsy is bound to trip over a sock and ......( i cant even say it) well you get my meaning, good luck with yours, should i encounter any helpfull stuff during my build i will post em up here. regards john

I can strongly recommend two books.

Setting-up a Small Observatory: From Concept to Construction Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series: Amazon.co.uk: P. Moore, David Arditti: Books

More Small Astronomical Observatories Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series: Amazon.co.uk: Patrick Moore: Books

This second book has the added advantage of being two books in one because there is a copy of it's predecssor book 'Small Astronomical Observatories' on a CD ROM at the back of the book.

David Arditti's book is however, more up to date.

You can find loads of links to amateur observatory websites at:

Amateur Observatories

I hope this helps

PS - the link in my signature to my observatory website is down at the moment - try again in a couple of days and it will hopefully be up and running again.

Edited by michaelmorris

Have been reading this thread as I am interested in building one as well, problem is I have street lights round the perimeter of the garden and trees in places. Is it, in these circumstances, worth building one in the garden. I do have an idea for one on a flat concrete roof but the width would only be about 6' or less, is this practical.

Jim

When I sell up and move, I'll be looking for a dark sky location where I can build an obs. I had thought of a tree top one in some woodland well away from everything.

When I sell up and move, I'll be looking for a dark sky location where I can build an obs. I had thought of a tree top one in some woodland well away from everything.

my girlfriend has horses, i`m very lucky to be able to build mine there. upon a fair sized hill, 10 miles or so from any towns or village, only down side is the hill slopes up away from me to the east and has a trees blocking a little sky. happy compromise me thinks though as the light pollution is so very low. i live in herefordshire on the border of wales, dark skies, much rain. the country of compromise..... wales. where are you thimking of moving to?

john

Bizibilder, you've done an excellent job of you Obsevatory, i really like it, but one question i would like to ask is...why have you tied the Floor into your steel pier? (this is what it appears to be in the pics)..surely this must cause vibration in the scope as you move about the floor?

. where are you thinking of moving to?

john

Not really dwelt on that one too much yet. Concentrating on prepping the homestead for selling the noo, although I really fancy somewhere in (very) rural Cymru. Mrs. Yeti Monster hates Wales with a vengence, so that's where I hope to wind up........... :)

Edited by yeti monster

When I sell up and move, I'll be looking for a dark sky location where I can build an obs.

That's just my dilemma. I want a dark sky which means as far away from a town / city as possible. But I also want fast broadband internet which means as close to a town centre (i.e. the phone exchange) as possible. It seems I can't have both.

Although the house I live in now (rented though) seems to be a rather good compromise. It's the south side of the town with not that many more houses further south and still close enough to the centre to get 17 meg broadband. :D

But because it's rented, I can't build an obs... :)

Although the house I live in now (rented though) seems to be a rather good compromise. It's the south side of the town with not that many more houses further south and still close enough to the centre to get 17 meg broadband. :)

I live in London and can't get 17mps thats a great speed your getting