Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

scarecrow

Hello Hello

Hi all.

Love the site so i thought i should sign up and ask a couple of questions.

Ive been looking to get a scope these last couple of weeks but as a complete beginner im not sure what to go for. So far on my list is the Skymax 127 or the Explorer 150. The things im after a scope i can hook up my dslr camera and to have a gool look round and the planets and stars and to be able to get good results.

The only problem i have is i live in Chingford (London) so the skys arnt really that great. I would mostly be using it in the garden but would do a couple of visits to the forest and mabye take it away on some uk holidays.

From the proce of them two its about £300 budjet but if there is anything alot better for a little more im all ears.

Thanks for all the help

Hi all.

Love the site so i thought i should sign up and ask a couple of questions.

Ive been looking to get a scope these last couple of weeks but as a complete beginner im not sure what to go for. So far on my list is the Skymax 127 or the Explorer 150. The things im after a scope i can hook up my dslr camera and to have a gool look round and the planets and stars and to be able to get good results.

The only problem i have is i live in Chingford (London) so the skys arnt really that great. I would mostly be using it in the garden but would do a couple of visits to the forest and mabye take it away on some uk holidays.

From the proce of them two its about £300 budjet but if there is anything alot better for a little more im all ears.

Thanks for all the help

Hello there, and welcome.

Hi Scarecrow,

welcome to SGL. I don't know about the scopes, but Iam sure someone here will, happy hunting!

Hi and welcome - whichever scope you choose, it would be a good idea to get a light pollution filter with it (only about a tenner). Of the two you mention I'd favour the explorer 150 - make sure it's the one with a parabolic mirror. The retailer you buy from will advise on attachments for a dslr - you should be able to do solar snapshots from your location but you might find a dark sight neccessary for decent dso photography.

Hi Scarecrow,

A warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Scarecrow,

welcome to SGL. I second Brantuk! An LPR filter is a must when observing deep sky thes days. For planets you don't need them. The extra inch of aperture of the 150 can really make a difference for any object. Beware, such statements are a sign of "aperture fever". Very contagious. You contract it by looking through a bigger scope than your own :).

Hi scarecrow and welcome,

just remember it also needs to be portable to take around with you so the scopes mentioned are good.

regards ron.s.g