Question about HEQ5 synscan update

MishMich

Hi,

I want to thank the contributors to this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/83299-connecting-heq5-laptop-help-please.html

Very useful, and going through this I managed to set up Synscan to work through Stellarium 10.02 on Windows 7. The biggest problem was finding the configuration - which seems to the placed in

C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium

So, I upgraded my second-hand black HEQ5 with Synscan & hand controller, installed the ASCOM platform, and connected the handset to the mount, and the serial cable to a good Serial/USB adapter. Using PhD the ASCOM Celestron driver for synscan seemed to connect, and Stellarium connected in a way that confirmed this.

What I don't understand is why the Synscan update program cannot connect to the synscan handset/mount, and allow me to unpdate. It is a v.3 handset, but the update cannot read the handset, and does not find it. Is this an issue with using an adapter, or is there a step I'm missing?

M.

have you tried updating the firmware in the V3 Synscan handcontroller by:

Dis-connect the handle controller from the mount.

Plug in the 12V power supply from the mount directly into the Synscan handcontroller

Plug in the Skywatcher RJ11 to Serial cable between the handcontroller and the PC ( if you don't have a serial socket you'll need to use a "good" serial to USB adaptor)

Run the Skywatcher upgrade software.....

When set up correctly it only takes a few moments....

Ken

as far as I remember you don't have the handset connected to the telescope when doing the update, which means you have to provide a separate power supply to power the handset while it updates connected to your pc. I think this is correct, but do get a second opinion before trying anything out......

Hi,

I'd tried it both ways.

Just tried it using handset alone, on an XP PC with RS232, and went through the instructions carefully, step by step...

Worked fine. Not sure if it was me, Win 7, or the adapter (suspect it was operator error). XP is so slooooow.

Thanks.

M.

Archived