SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Hunter

I had some fun and games setting up last night... I mount the 450d piggy back on the C80ED with a small ball head. Getting balance was a bit of a so and so. The dew shield I made for the Nifty was too long, so I was carrying out surgery on it, in the dark before getting going. Whilst it only took me 15 minutes to have the mount setup, it took nearly 45 minutes to get going. Then the laptop went to sleep and stopped the guiding and the camera battery died after only 3 subs. Thankfully though, the two happened at the same time... Checking the mount power supply, that battery wasn't looking good either... so a quick swap to mains, set everything back up again, get the guiding going and left it running... So...

33 x 5 minutes @ ISO200

Unmodded Canon 450d with Nifty Fifty (EF 50mm II), CLS Clip filter

Mounted piggy back

Guided by QHY5v on Konus Vista 80s with PHD

Mounted on an HEQ5.

11 darks and 11 flats

I had a somewhat horrid gradient across the lower edge thanks to the murk that crept up, I didn't notice it as being particularly bad, but I guess it was for 5 minute subs.

orion-1.jpg

Click for bigger.

Wow - great stuff John... I quite like how it's a standard camera on a fairly non-standard active mount (for a "standard" DSLR). Also, the mount/quiding is probably more than double the cost of the camera... Nice :)

thanks guys. I have to admit, I was rather surprised at the amount of red Ha I pulled out, especially as it's an unmodded camera with the factory fit filter, and with such a low ISO to boot. The processing was very easy for this one too, far easier than some of the other images I've posted up.

I just had another look (following comment on another thread). This is a remarkable image. I zoomed in, and not only is M42 crystal clear, you can make out the running man, and the horsehead in the horsehead nebula is clearly visible. I don't think I've seen that much detail in an image like this before, usually all that gets blown out.

M.

Thanks M, I think that Paul had it right, the larger dynamic range at ISO200 really made a huge difference, and processing it was amazingly simple. On some of my images, I've agonised for hours in processing them. I did this in 10 minutes... (well ok, it took some 30 - 40 minutes to stack :))...

Thanks Pete

Archived