Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Re: Help with using a camera

I have read this Thread with great interest and others in the imaging section and i have to say i am going backwards rather than forwards with this subject. I to would love to take both Deep space and closer images but i am totally getting bogged down with the responces. I to am a newbie and the only imaging i have achieved are photos of the moon using a Fujifilm Finepix S1000. This was achieved by placing the camera lens to the eyepiece. I have got some good photos which i am very happy with BUT i also have a problem of seeing the internal parts on the Skywatcher 150P which leave a black mark on the image. I`m sorry if i`m butting in on this topic but would love to know what i should be looking to buy to get an image to be proud of. I have a buget of around £400 . I have a motorised mount (not GOTO but twin motorised axis) which came with the scope from FLO. I will also say that i get confused by abreviations as i suffer from slight dyslexia so please excuse my spelling as well.

I am really looking to advance my work in the astro field of imaging and would welcome any advice. Again i am sorry if i appear to have jumped onto this tread.

Hi Mick

Maybe you could post one of your images and someone might be able to let you know how to improve it.

If you want to image the moon & planets, have a look at this tutorial for webcam imaging. This may be quite a cheap way to take the next step in imaging without spending 400 quid .

Webcam Astrophotography Tutorial for Planets

Hope it helps a little but keep at it

Greenkat

For less than £400 you could get a Canon camera which has been modded for deep space imaging. I would go along this route, use the camera in what is known as prime focus ( this is where the telescope totally replaces the camera lens). you remove the camera lens, and then via a "T Adaptor" and fitting for your telescope attach the camera to the telescope. This reduces the vignetting and allows more light to hit the sensor. If my memory serves me right you can connect a DSLR directly to the SW150.

You could of course do focal projection with the camera you have with an additional suitable bracket which clamps to your eye piece and holds your camera in place at the eye piece, however vignetting may become more noticeable.

One thing for sure is you will probably get lots of good advice and I'm sure someone will be along shortly who is more qualified than me to advise you.

HTH

Carl

Can you provide details of your mount?

If it's the standard 150p, it'll be on an eq3-2. Not ideal for imaging as it's a bit light, but it's driven so that's a good start. As Carl said, get a Canon 1000d, attach it to the scope, and experiment to see what you can get away with. You should be able to get some useful results, even if it means getting a huge stack of short exposures. It'll certainly get you up and running.

Archived