740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Tonight observing so far...

Hypernova

I was glad earlier in the evening when I found out that tonight was to be clear, first cloudless night in 1 1/2 weeks. So at around half 5 decided to place to scope outside to cool. I hoped to find some objects that were totally new to me.

My first targets were the open clusters in Auriga. I found it tricky to locate them at first but with the help of the Cheshire Cat I soon found M38 and right below the right eye of the cat NGC 1907 :eek: M38 was visible as large open clump of stars and NGC 1907 as a small fuzzy patch. And while looking at nearby M36, a satellite went across the FOV, so I decided to follow and as I was doing that M37 popped into view :).

Next on was the blue snowball, difficult to locate and small, looked like a slightly out of focus star at one corner of a right angled triangle with a small circle of fuzz around it.

After that was NGC 7331, I quickly found the star field but failed to see anything at first, but after about 5 minutes a small cigar shaped bit of light appeared on one side of the eyepiece with averted vision which I assume is the galaxy.

Carrying on I went to the open cluster NGC 752 in Triangulum which looks like many other clusters but a bit larger.

The final object I've seen so far tonight is M76 in Perseus. No detail visible just a patch of nebulosity about 1/3 degree away from a 6th magnitude star.

There's a wonderful choice of objects in the sky at the moment, I am absolutely stuck for choice.

Well done for finding the Snowball, I haven't located it yet!! Have you seen the Eskimo Nebula yet? If you have, how does it compare to the Snowball? I would like to know for when I try and find it again. :)

I have seen the Eskimo Nebula, as on how it looks , it looks almost exactly the same, just small, faint and look like out of focus stars though I would say that the snowball is slightly brighter and that both are colourless in my 8".

I have seen the Eskimo Nebula, as on how it looks , it looks almost exactly the same, just small, faint and look like out of focus stars though I would say that the snowball is slightly brighter and that both are colourless in my 8".

Excellent, thanks. :)

Good report ! - it's a cracking night tonight. I've lost count of what I've seen. The Owl Nebula & M108 in the same field of view were probably the highlights so far. It's just so nice to be observing again !

Edit: Spoke too soon - 15 mins after posting this, cloud stopped play here in North Somerset :)

Oh well, it was good while it lasted !.

Edited by John

Well I've had to pack up a bit early due to dew and encroaching cloud cover, but at least I've seen some things. I managed to find the 37 cluster and I could just pick out the faint outline of it.

I had no luck earlier locating M52 though, my finder scope is useless for finding stuff in the middle of nowhere, also M97 & M108 remain elusive... but for how much longer?

M97 is much easier to find with a UHC or an OIII filter - I used the latter to locate it with my 10" tonight. Once I'd found it I removed the filter because it's of no benefit for M108 (being a galaxy).

M52 is not too bad to find once you know what you are looking for. Its quite a small cluster. Try with binos first and then the scope...

Mark

I found I was having trouble using the finder scope to locate the magnitude 5 star that I knew was close to the cluster, I really need to get an RDF.

I love my RDF, although I have just swapped it for a Telrad. I found M52 (amongst loads of other stuff) no problem with the RDF, although I'm not looking for really faint objects like Mark is,just yet! I've not tried the Telrad out yet either - that's for my next outing!