Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

cloudbuster

a belated Hi!

Hi Everyone

Just to say that Im loving this site! Im new to this hobby, and have already posted a couple of enquries etc, but without introducing myself...well here goes!...

I live in Bristol, am in my early 40's, and am a mixture of english, scottish, and black american....in other words, 57 varieties! consequently, I look a bit of a mess, so with not much of a social life, i only go out at night! lol....needless to say, astronomy saved me from losing my mind!!!

More seriously tho, I have a backgroung in aviation & defence, and was once a promising aviation photographer, travelling the globe, getting my work published pretty much everywhere. I would often 'walk the ramp' of an evening, trying to see if i could include the moon or a sunset in any of my shots...and so began my fascination with astronomy! My late mother then bought me a canadian book called 'splendors of the universe', and I bought my first scope, an orion europa 150 6" soon after. I then was forced to sell my scope, and last year, after getting back on my feet, I again purchased an orion europa 150 6".

with it I have a basic dual axis drive, half-a-doz or so cheap eyepieces, and a canon 300D DSLR. However, nothing has prepared me for the difficulty involved in astrophotography....which is where you guys come in. Yes, forced to hide in the shadows during the daytime, this forum will hopefully transform my social standing, from one of a lepor during the day, to that of a kind of a social 'cat' during the night!!!

So greetings one and all, and i look forward to learning more about this great hobby of yours!

cheers

Bob

:)

Welcome Bob, love the enthusiasm :)

I'm just going to pop your post into the beginners section tho, cheers :eek:

TJ

Welcome to SGL Bob and a great introduction. There are plenty of people willing to help on here and there is no question that is too big or too small :)

Regards

Kevin

Hi Bob,

Welcome to SGL.

Seems you have the right equipment to make a good start in AP...:) The canon is a great little camera to get you started!

Hi Everyone

Just to say that Im loving this site! Im new to this hobby, and have already posted a couple of enquries etc, but without introducing myself...well here goes!...

I live in Bristol, am in my early 40's, and am a mixture of english, scottish, and black american....in other words, 57 varieties! consequently, I look a bit of a mess, so with not much of a social life, i only go out at night! lol....needless to say, astronomy saved me from losing my mind!!!

More seriously tho, I have a backgroung in aviation & defence, and was once a promising aviation photographer, travelling the globe, getting my work published pretty much everywhere. I would often 'walk the ramp' of an evening, trying to see if i could include the moon or a sunset in any of my shots...and so began my fascination with astronomy! My late mother then bought me a canadian book called 'splendors of the universe', and I bought my first scope, an orion europa 150 6" soon after. I then was forced to sell my scope, and last year, after getting back on my feet, I again purchased an orion europa 150 6".

with it I have a basic dual axis drive, half-a-doz or so cheap eyepieces, and a canon 300D DSLR. However, nothing has prepared me for the difficulty involved in astrophotography....which is where you guys come in. Yes, forced to hide in the shadows during the daytime, this forum will hopefully transform my social standing, from one of a lepor during the day, to that of a kind of a social 'cat' during the night!!!

So greetings one and all, and i look forward to learning more about this great hobby of yours!

cheers

Bob

:)

Yo dude, Jock, old boy. :eek:

Nice entrance you have there.

Hi Bob,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and girls. Im gonna spend this evening looking at some of the wonderful images posted on this site, and reading some of your profiles and postings etc.

stay in touch

cheers

bob

Hi All

I've just browsed both Mike's and Fuelbender's images....very nice planetary shots! I have not long just purchased a celestron neximage cam....so with my 6" reflector, can i expect to get some reasonable images?

bob

Hi Bob and welcome. I have just purchased the NexImage so will be keeping an eye on this thread.. let me know how you get on with it :)

Hi All

I've just browsed both Mike's and Fuelbender's images....very nice planetary shots! I have not long just purchased a celestron neximage cam....so with my 6" reflector, can i expect to get some reasonable images?

bob

You should be OK. Note that I always use a TeleXtender (=fancy barlow) to extend the focus. Got some good results with my old 26mm Plossl from Celestron. With Mars my best f-ratio was about 30, for Jupiter and Saturn 20-25 may be better.

Good luck, and show us your pics when you have them!

thanks for the info guys...

...........all we need now is a night off work, and a clear sky....too much to ask??!!!!:)

Welcome Bob :-)

Thanks for your M42 image on my post about staring DSLR photography...cracking image my friend :-)

See you on the boards

Dave