SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

a belated Hi!

cloudbuster

Hi Everyone

Just to say that Im loving this site! Im new to this hobby, and have already posted a couple of enquries etc, but without introducing myself...well here goes!...

I live in Bristol, am in my early 40's, and am a mixture of english, scottish, and black american....in other words, 57 varieties! consequently, I look a bit of a mess, so with not much of a social life, i only go out at night! lol....needless to say, astronomy saved me from losing my mind!!!

More seriously tho, I have a backgroung in aviation & defence, and was once a promising aviation photographer, travelling the globe, getting my work published pretty much everywhere. I would often 'walk the ramp' of an evening, trying to see if i could include the moon or a sunset in any of my shots...and so began my fascination with astronomy! My late mother then bought me a canadian book called 'splendors of the universe', and I bought my first scope, an orion europa 150 6" soon after. I then was forced to sell my scope, and last year, after getting back on my feet, I again purchased an orion europa 150 6".

with it I have a basic dual axis drive, half-a-doz or so cheap eyepieces, and a canon 300D DSLR. However, nothing has prepared me for the difficulty involved in astrophotography....which is where you guys come in. Yes, forced to hide in the shadows during the daytime, this forum will hopefully transform my social standing, from one of a lepor during the day, to that of a kind of a social 'cat' during the night!!!

So greetings one and all, and i look forward to learning more about this great hobby of yours!

cheers

Bob

:)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Everyone

Just to say that Im loving this site! Im new to this hobby, and have already posted a couple of enquries etc, but without introducing myself...well here goes!...

I live in Bristol, am in my early 40's, and am a mixture of english, scottish, and black american....in other words, 57 varieties! consequently, I look a bit of a mess, so with not much of a social life, i only go out at night! lol....needless to say, astronomy saved me from losing my mind!!!

More seriously tho, I have a backgroung in aviation & defence, and was once a promising aviation photographer, travelling the globe, getting my work published pretty much everywhere. I would often 'walk the ramp' of an evening, trying to see if i could include the moon or a sunset in any of my shots...and so began my fascination with astronomy! My late mother then bought me a canadian book called 'splendors of the universe', and I bought my first scope, an orion europa 150 6" soon after. I then was forced to sell my scope, and last year, after getting back on my feet, I again purchased an orion europa 150 6".

with it I have a basic dual axis drive, half-a-doz or so cheap eyepieces, and a canon 300D DSLR. However, nothing has prepared me for the difficulty involved in astrophotography....which is where you guys come in. Yes, forced to hide in the shadows during the daytime, this forum will hopefully transform my social standing, from one of a lepor during the day, to that of a kind of a social 'cat' during the night!!!

So greetings one and all, and i look forward to learning more about this great hobby of yours!

cheers

Bob

:)

Yo dude, Jock, old boy. :eek:

Nice entrance you have there.

Hi All

I've just browsed both Mike's and Fuelbender's images....very nice planetary shots! I have not long just purchased a celestron neximage cam....so with my 6" reflector, can i expect to get some reasonable images?

bob

You should be OK. Note that I always use a TeleXtender (=fancy barlow) to extend the focus. Got some good results with my old 26mm Plossl from Celestron. With Mars my best f-ratio was about 30, for Jupiter and Saturn 20-25 may be better.

Good luck, and show us your pics when you have them!

Archived