Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

G-James

Observing Planets with an f/4 scope.

Can you see any detail on the planets with an f/4 telescope.

I am using a 114mm Skywatcher (500mm focal length) and wanted to know as I am considering buying a 6.3mm eyepiece, so I could see more of the planets.

Would I see more?

Or am I wasting my time?

It's the aperture (114mm) that determines what you can see and you should be able to see some details on Mars, Juipter and (subtle) on Saturn although the rings and moons make up for the lack of surface markings on the latter.

The trick is going to be to get enough magnification for Mars - the 6.3mm eyepiece will give you 80x which will show Mars as a disk but a very small one. A x2 barlow with the 6.3mm eyepiece will give 160x which is better and may be the most power you can usefully use.

A x2 barlow with the 6.3mm eyepiece will give 160x which is better and may be the most power you can usefully use.

Or slightly more than .... your scope is f/4.5 so the "optimum magnification" for fine detail is about what is given by a 4mm EP, or a 8mm with a 2x barlow.

I hope it's properly collimated, otherwise you're wasting your time going anywhere near that power.