SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

delicate ballancing act

i have a beautifull girlfriend who believes that she is now becoming second to the very sky i`ve lived under my whole life (her words)....anyone had this problem? i cant help noticing when the sky is clear and jumping out of bed to look at it?!!

Have you tried setting it up looking at something amazing Saturn and its rings or Jupiter with its moons.

Then show her what you are observing.

With me it was the other way around Astro Observing was my wifes hobby.

I was there just to assemble all the bits mount it on the tripod North align it then try and find somethere warm for two hour.

but Engish weather can limit enjoyment of the sky.

I started getting fed up of setting the things up and the taking them apart at the end of the session.

so I decided that building an obervatory etc would be easier.

and I got a second scope and joined her.

We have now a number of scopes including Solar scopes.

I can start to get expensive.

My wife knows where I am so she doesn't care how long I'm out at night. At least I'm not down the pub with the guy's.

That about sums up Mrs WB's atitude. Mind after 40+ years of marriage, I dont think she knows what I am upto, she is lost in her books, face book (YIKES) and spending money :)

Mine is mostly ok. She spends lots of time with photography and I always encourage it so when it's time for me to observe she doesn't complain much.

I do try and give her some attention. If I ware to get home and go straight out to observe a few days in a row I'm sure I would be in for a fight, so I just balance things, and whenever possible, I try to get her observing with me. Besides with all this cloudy nights she can't complain much. :)

i have a beautifull girlfriend who believes that she is now becoming second to the very sky i`ve lived under my whole life (her words)....anyone had this problem? i cant help noticing when the sky is clear and jumping out of bed to look at it?!!

You need to sweeten her up a bit - get her some flowers and buy her an Iron - on the gift tag say something nice - for example "now you can have a hobby too..." hugs and kisses etc etc....:)

Other half likes me outside observing, means she can watch those ridiculas reality programmes. Showed her Saturn and orion nebula she was impressed for about 2 mins before she wanted to go back in to her programmes, fair enough i suppose it's nice and peacefull just me amd the stars :)

As a woman I never have that problem - Its my right to do as I please and always get my own way :D

I am probably showing my ignorance here astro baby, but my knowledge of the night sky is still fairly limited. I know, and can identify some of the major constellations, but need to refer to stellarium or books to find my way around.

With this in mind, and keeping it fairly simple, can you please point me in the direction of the twisted planet you think you are living on. :):eek:

As long as you are being reasonable lost in space, your girlfriend should support and encourage you in your interests and vice versa. If she does not, the alarm bells should be ringing.

Never had this sort of problem myself, my girlfriend/wife and I were bluntly honest in established exactly what the ground rules were very early into our relationship. As a result we both have our own interests and hobbies but more to the point we are both very considerate and supportive of each other. If you truly love somebody it’s a pleasure to compromise for them, but if they truly love you back, they would hate the thought of you having to do so. :D

Never had this sort of problem myself, my girlfriend/wife and I were bluntly honest in established exactly what the ground rules were very early into our relationship. :)

I take it that they are jolly good friends then, your girlfriend and your wife..............

You need to sweeten her up a bit - get her some flowers and buy her an Iron - on the gift tag say something nice - for example "now you can have a hobby too..." hugs and kisses etc etc....:)

As you know from my signature, poetry is a passion of mine. It is a wonderful medium for expressing emotion. Over the years I have had many of my poems published - this is one of them; it would be ideal for getting you outside to your scope.

Ode to a Lady

Ode to a Lady

Could I my captive heart ignore,

As the golden radiance of daylight

Merges with the blue-grey hue of evening,

And I should close my mind to shadows

That join and dance as one upon the wall,

While the crimson sunset lays down its head

Into the lap of night?

Could I ignore the whispering of the trees

Or the dawn as the messenger of light

That greets the crystal dew

Upon the waking meadows,

Where beats the pulse of life

In its many forms?

Could I turn away the pleasures of my eyes;

Blinded to the gentle rain that falls

Upon the petal of a rose,

Or the struggle of a new-born lamb

To stand tall on elfin limbs?

Could I ignore the woodland's changing hue

Where weary green vacates the leaf to gold

And the virgin snow blankets, so snugly,

The primrose in its winter slumber?

(At this point you gently caress your partner’s cheek with the back of your hand)

To ignore all such things, my love,

Would be to ignore the essence that is you.

She bushes the hair from your forehead and places a warm scarf around your neck, which she proceeds to pull as tight as she can, until you turn blue.

Well, it doesn’t work every time!

Archived