SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium

Hi can anybody throw some light on why stellarium will not work on my laptop which runs on vista. It just comes up stellarium has stopped working and windows is checking for a solution to the problem. But it never finds one. It runs perfectly on my pc which is windows XP.

:)

Thanks

Mickyjd

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried right clicking the Stellarium icon, go to properties and run in XP compatibility mode. That may work?

If you don't have an icon on the desktop, just copy it from the program list and then right click.

Im using vista and I have not encountered any problems. I have version 0.10.2. Have you tried right clicking the stellarium icon, you should get a list, at the bottom of the list select properties, you should then get a box pop up with various tabs across the top, select compatability (3rd tab) and select the tick box for "run this program in compatablity mode for" and then select XP, and select apply.

Im using vista and I have not encountered any problems. I have version 0.10.2. Have you tried right clicking the stellarium icon, you should get a list, at the bottom of the list select properties, you should then get a box pop up with various tabs across the top, select compatability (3rd tab) and select the tick box for "run this program in compatablity mode for" and then select XP, and select apply.

I need to read the post before I jump in with "bright" ideas lol

I've been running Stellarium on my laptop and vista (now using it with Windows 7) with no problems. Is it possible that it's just a corrupted installation? Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it? The other possibility is to turn off 3D acceleration on your graphics card to see if that helps. If it does, stellarium won't look as pretty, but at least you'll have tracked down the problem.

Hi

Are you running vista 64bit? - that may be the problem. I have run stellarium on vista 32bit with no problems and now running on windows 7 with no problem.

also try running stellarium as an administrator.

gary

Hi Micky - I have Stellarium on Vista (32 bit) - it runs perfectly but I did get one or two small fixable problems back down the line. Did you try to download the extra star catalogs just before this problem started? If so then I have a solution for you. I've just looked up the thread (copy and paste into you address window) my solution is towards the bottom of it - several other suggestions throughout the thread so do read it all and your sure to get up and running.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/93455-stellarium-older-version.html

I have an old laptop running XP and even after updating the drivers it won't run Stellarium.

Before updating it seemed to crash after loading, the display was just a mass of jagged colours totally frozen.

After updating it was the correct image but still frozen and almost instantly the mouse cursor disappears and I can only escape by turning off the computer.

I have no probs on my desk top which runs XP professional.

Do you think it possible I could load a basic stripped down version of Stellarium if such a thing exists ?

All I require is simple imagery and alt/az coordinates as I think my first scope is likely to be a Dob with a Wixey and home made circle.

Astro work bench does run ok but I prefer the look and usability on Stellarium.

If it is not possible is anyone familiar with Astro work bench, does it have a night vision mode like Stellarium

I have an old laptop running XP and even after updating the drivers it won't run Stellarium.

Before updating it seemed to crash after loading, the display was just a mass of jagged colours totally frozen.

I have Strellarium running fine on an old Toshiba under XP SP3 , 512MB of RAM and a Celeron CPU @ 1.5GHz. Loaded all the extra star catalogs and it still runs at about 25 FPS. :eek:

I would suggest you remove stellarium and fully update your laptop and then re-load - keep your fingers crossed! :)

That's what I did.

To be fair I'm not computer friendly and I'm not entirely sure I did the updates properly.

I used a programme called Driver Detective and it seemed to have me going round in circles.

It often is a case of going round in circles, but you get there eventually.

Is your XP installation up to date too?

good luck

Are XP updates the regular stuff that appears on screen from the internet ?

They can be, but it is worth going to the MS site and checking.

On my laptop, I just click on START and one of the options is WINDOWS UPDATE.

Also worth noting, when asked to re-boot, it is sometimes necessary to SHUT DOWN the PC completely, rather than RE-BOOT.

Yo may have to go through the WINDOWS UPDATE procedure a few times, until nothing no more updates are shown.

good morning, i just download the client. now i get a err message when i will start the installation, it tells me

"the setup files are corrupted.please obtain a new copy of the program."

so i did, but still the same message, i dont get trough the instalation:/

i run vista home edtion.

greetings

Teo

Running it fine on Vista 64 Home Premium.

Could just be a corrupted installation or an incompatible graphics chip. With laptops there's a lot to be said for ensuring the built in graphics are Intel chipset - compatibility, compatibility, compatibility - or at least have Microsoft Certified drivers. This sort of issue is why Microsoft brought in the hardware and driver Certification scheme, as the scams with rubbish hardware and rubbish drivers that used to go on, were appalling.

The other possibility, is anti-virus software not having Stellarium as an 'approved' programme. For a quick check, exit any anti-virus software prior to launching Stellarium, and if it launches ok, add Stellarium (right click the icon and click properties to get the file path) to the approved programmes list of the anti-virus software.

Something else worth looking into, is whether you have the latest BIOS updates and other machine specific drivers for the motherboard chipset (Northbridge, Southbridge, USB, Ethernet, etc)updated from the Manufacturers site.

If the BIOS is bugged, then the communications between the Software, Operating System, drivers, and hardware, can be seriously borked.

PS. With Windows update, the automatic updates are only really concerned with the security updates. Click on the check for updates, then when it has finished scanning, see what optional updates are available. Some of those could be updated drivers, etc.

PPS. 'Jagged' graphics could be an incompatible resolution setting (try one of the old compatibility standards, such as 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 and try 16 bit colour instead of 32 bit colour or vice versa. plus make sure your refresh rate isn't set too fast for the display - if it's a 60hz display setting it at 100hz won't help), a bad graphics driver, or an incompatible built in graphics chip. Also check that there's enough memory available to the graphics card. As most laptops use shared memory, there's a setting in the BIOS normally where you can set the level the graphics can use. Some older machines may have an upper limit that's nowhere near enough for what is required to run certain software. Plus (lol) right click on Computer, click on properties, and click on Device Manager, right click on the Display Adaptor, check through the tabs, and look to see if there is a tick box that allows the system to turn the device off for power saving. If there is, untick it (as an aside it is worth doing this for the network cards too), and go into the Powersaving settings in Control Panel and configure it so nothing interferes with your display. A lot of hardware really isn't up to this powersaving stuff I've found, and it can inadvertently cause all sorts of issues.

Just in case the host download file has become corrupted, I'm in the process of setting up a temporary download facility that's hosting a 'known good' copy of version 10.2 that I downloaded and installed recently.

I'll link it here when done, and keep it up until tomorrow night, which should be enough time for the proper host to resolve any issues.

NB. I slightly changed the name of the file - to stellarium10.2.exe - so if anyone wants to do a file compare, they won't overwrite their original.

Link - http://www.founding-sons.co.uk/ just click on the piccy.

PS I'll throw this up as a new topic, so people can have access to the alternative download link. Mods if that could be deleted after tomorrow night, as the link will be taken down then, that would be great.

PPS. 'Jagged' graphics could be an incompatible resolution setting (try one of the old compatibility standards, such as 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 and try 16 bit colour instead of 32 bit colour or vice versa. plus make sure your refresh rate isn't set too fast for the display - if it's a 60hz display setting it at 100hz won't help), a bad graphics driver, or an incompatible built in graphics chip. Also check that there's enough memory available to the graphics card. As most laptops use shared memory, there's a setting in the BIOS normally where you can set the level the graphics can use. Some older machines may have an upper limit that's nowhere near enough for what is required to run certain software. Plus (lol) right click on Computer, click on properties, and click on Device Manager, right click on the Display Adaptor, check through the tabs, and look to see if there is a tick box that allows the system to turn the device off for power saving. If there is, untick it (as an aside it is worth doing this for the network cards too), and go into the Powersaving settings in Control Panel and configure it so nothing interferes with your display. A lot of hardware really isn't up to this powersaving stuff I've found, and it can inadvertently cause all sorts of issues.

Sorry Ogri you lost me at PPS.

Will opening the computer and cleaning the valves with a feather duster help.

Archived