Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Dazraz

clear skies please please

It sure aint. I'm confused about that. Mars is just about coming into it best over the next couple of weeks but already i see that it is nowhere near as bright as it was about a month ago.

i am a newbie to this so could not answer that question sorry :)

Ive seen jupiter tonight and its moons :) im happy now :eek:

i knew i should of got out earlier

i am a newbie to this so could not answer that question sorry :)

I'm quite new to really understanding the workings of things also. I've been a casual observer with bins since i was knee high to a grasshopper but only in the last couple of years bought scopes and BIG bins,DSLR camera etc. I really am just a beginner myself in one respect.

I can only think the reason why Mars looked bigger and brighter a month ago (rather then the smaller duller way it looks now) is because of atmospheric conditions.

Either way..............it still looks like poo in my new scope (130mm Dob).

Ive seen jupiter tonight and its moons :) im happy now :eek:

I was almost as elated with seeing Jupiter and its moons for the first time as i was seeing Saturn and its rings.

You really know you are seeing something special when you see Jupiter and 4 little dots of light in an almost perfect line in the EP.

I could even see 4 clear bands of cloud across the surface of Jupiter. Its breathtaking but doesnt quite have the same WOW factor as observing Saturn.

Here are a couple of images of Jupter i took using only my Canon 450D on a fixed tripod. The first image was taken using a75-300mm lens set at 300mm. Its out of focus BUT you can clearly see banding. The other image showing the moons................i cant remember the settings offhand.

post-18019-133877420739_thumb.jpg

post-18019-133877420744_thumb.jpg

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I was almost as elated with seeing Jupiter and its moons for the first time as i was seeing Saturn and its rings.

You really know you are seeing something special when you see Jupiter and 4 little dots of light in an almost perfect line in the EP.

I could even see 4 clear bands of cloud across the surface of Jupiter. Its breathtaking but doesnt quite have the same WOW factor as observing Saturn.

Got to agree there saturn is great

Yee cant wait to see saturn although i cant see me getting up at 3am or so at the moment :)

had my first glimpse of our moon too

Yee cant wait to see saturn although i cant see me getting up at 3am or so at the moment :)

had my first glimpse of our moon too

i bet you get some clear nights in wales ?

i bet you get some clear nights in wales ?

Its not to bad, we live about 3 miles from the sea so it clears quite well. Also live on top of a hill which helps :)

Its not to bad, we live about 3 miles from the sea so it clears quite well. Also live on top of a hill which helps :)

yer im 2 mins from sea clears well here also

went out with my 6 year old daughter for an hour looking at the stars with the naked eye. she's been on my computer a while looking at stellerium, and knew straight away when outside certain stars saying " those are the three stars i saw on the computer" and then she noticed Pleiades. she knew the stars altinak, alhnilam and mintaka, and also cluster stars such as electra and atlas. she was very excited. i can't wait to get my 10x50 binoculars, but the only thing is they're going to be too big for her. what would you advice for me to get her? oh yeah, we also saw mars aswell.

Edited by lennoxlude

Just had a great observing session! Stayed out for about 4 and a half hours.

Visited many objects I had already seen and added about 25 new to my list. My goto is finally working properly, seams I had misplaced a washer that caused errors. Today I used the goto for half the session so I could capture some tiny NGCs I was having trouble to spot. Really comes in handy. I need to get more aperture sometime soon (maybe next Christmas), some of this Herschel 400 objects are very elusive with an 8"!

Did some star tests too and collimation was perfect! Jupiter was great but Mars was still too low.

Sorry for the long post, but after 3 weeks of cloud coverage this was a great and unexpected night (the weather report predicted clouds... again...).

I really feel that i need a telrade lazer spotter as im not finding enough objects as i would like to

Update for w/e 24/01:

Just checked out BBC and it says we might be in for some clear sky on Friday night. w00t! :)

I did manage to set up last night but by the time everything was calibrated (7pm) the clouds had rolled in :D but..... I thought "what the hell" and just slewed it to Mars - to my astonishment i could actually see Mars THROUGH the clouds (which my eyes couldn't), it even worked on Betelguese and other bright objects :eek: I never thought the scope would be able to penetrate clouds like that!

Anyways, were all gonna get soaked the next couple of days, so just stay in with a cuppa/beer/hot choccy/vodka/chablis (delete as appropriate...lol).

Hey luke.... I saw your shot of Jupiter with just your camera... thats pretty good going man! I'd struggle to find it without my Goto :D

Update for w/e 24/01:

Just checked out BBC and it says we might be in for some clear sky on Friday night. w00t! :)

Not any more by the looks of it :D Unless you live in Ireland...

Edit: The met office are a bit more optimistic though!

Edited by Shibby

Just checked again, its still clear here for Fri eve cos there should be a clearing in the cloud slap-bang over the west midlands area :) Maybe good enough for 3 hours viewing, but no more than that I think. There wont be any details of the times until tomorrow as at the moment its just a forecast for daytime/evening conditions.