SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M104 at 130X (130mm)

george7378

Hi all,

I have seen M1, which I previously asked about in this forum, through my 130mm 'scope quite well at high and low magnification (although low at about 65X was best). Now I am looking forward to seeing M104 - the Sombrero Galaxy - the first DSO I ever really saw a picture of.

What am I likely to be able to see?

Thanks.

in my 150mm dob under very dark skies it is nice as it is one of the few galaxies (IME) in which you can see shape and structure in a scope of that sort of size. best at low mag (around 40x IIRC). I also recall it being quite hard to find as it's not really near anything else (and it sure is a long long way from here... :)

Thanks for the tips and sketch - I will be happy as long as I can see some structure :) I think I'll have to wait for the Summer though for Virgo to be visible. Will I be able to see anything else in the Virgo cluster of galaxies?

Not really they are mostly elliptical and a bit dull IMO. This is a report I did on them:

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/93395-galaxy-night-19-12-2009-orion-xt8i.html

The only galaxy I ever seen structure so far was M51. On that same day. I tried it again a few days later with a lot of moon light and it was barely visible. Need to observe it again if the clouds ever leave...

Thanks for the tips and sketch - I will be happy as long as I can see some structure :) I think I'll have to wait for the Summer though for Virgo to be visible. Will I be able to see anything else in the Virgo cluster of galaxies?

if skies are dark you should be able to see maybe 6 to 8 galaxies but no structure (as Pvaz says)

Six or seven! No more than that....check out my list you will be able to see the two category three galaxies including M104, 3 category five galaxies and the 15 category six ones just...and maybe more as the list is still a work in progress..

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...2QUZPT3c&hl=en

So I make that at least 20....

Make sure you report back....

Mark

If you are out and about before the spring, don't forget all the Leo galaxies. Leo is well placed now and there's some nice groups with M65/M66 being the best.

But back to the title of your thread, i've just realised i've never seen M104 visually. Used the GOTO to image it back in 2006 but never eyeballed it. Shame on me! I will add this to my list of objects to see.

Russ

Six or seven! No more than that....check out my list you will be able to see the two category three galaxies including M104, 3 category five galaxies and the 15 category six ones just...and maybe more as the list is still a work in progress..

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...2QUZPT3c&hl=en

So I make that at least 20....

Make sure you report back....

Mark

Mark, I coudn't open your attachment - you may well be right but are you basing that on actually looking through a small scope (130mm) or on theoretical data?

My list is based on visual observations with various scopes and binos including a 5 inch. The category 6 galalxies will be faint in a 5 inch but you should be able to see them with averted vision in skies where you can pick our mag 4.5 stars..

I would be interested in your feedback when you have tried a few.

There is a nice galaxy NGC 1023 overhead in Perseus which might be one to try. This should be relatively bright in galaxy terms...You will need a good map. I suggest printing off a map using Carte du ciel so you can identify the fainter stars and then hop to the target. Its is a great feeling when you find it.

The googl doc is not an attachment it should be a link through to a public google spreadsheet..

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjYp5nWTbPIidFI2R3h6NWg3c29NVE9YTWI2QUZPT 3c&hl=en

If it does not work copy and paste this in to your browser adn see if that brings it up. I think its the space that throws the link. Googles link code..grrrr

Mark

Thanks for the info, and spreadsheet.

I will probably look for M33 first, before moving on to fainter ones. I can see M32 pretty clearly with my scope/dark sky, so this should be easy to find. I can also see M1, so I think the fainter galaxies may be OK to about mag 8/9.

All I need now is a clear sky!

M33 can actually be much tougher than some other galaxies as it is big but has a low surface brightness. Perhaps it shoudl be cat 6 in my list! It is in fact like a big version of M1 in the eyepiece.

Good luck..make sure you try when the moon is not in the sky if it is over a 1/4 in phase.

Mark

My list is based on visual observations with various scopes and binos including a 5 inch. The category 6 galalxies will be faint in a 5 inch but you should be able to see them with averted vision in skies where you can pick our mag 4.5 stars..

I would be interested in your feedback when you have tried a few.

There is a nice galaxy NGC 1023 overhead in Perseus which might be one to try. This should be relatively bright in galaxy terms...You will need a good map. I suggest printing off a map using Carte du ciel so you can identify the fainter stars and then hop to the target. Its is a great feeling when you find it.

The googl doc is not an attachment it should be a link through to a public google spreadsheet..

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjYp5nWTbPIidFI2R3h6NWg3c29NVE9YTWI2QUZPT 3c&hl=en

If it does not work copy and paste this in to your browser adn see if that brings it up. I think its the space that throws the link. Googles link code..grrrr

Mark

Mark, your list is really interesting and must have been quite a lot of work. I will look at it again next time I am under dark skies and try to find some of those cat6's :)

Archived