30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Friction problem

I recently bought GSO Dobsonian 200mm aperture F6 and I'm very happy with this scope. I can see much more in deep sky than with ED80. I was afraid because I must collimate scope for a first time but that is not a problem. It is not yet 100% OK but I'm learning. Scope also have Crayford 2 inch focuser but I must replace grease in future because it is not as smooth as in ED80 scope.

But I have a friction problem. When I look to zenith or when I look in Jupiter height, scope doesn't stay still but move constantly away without touching anything. I read somewhere that is possible to balance telescope with magnets. But it is possible that anyone maybe have better and simpler solution. What I see on pictures Dobsonian base is similar or same than Revelation Dobsonian base.

Saso

Telescope move down. This mount and telescope doesn't have rings or anything like it. The mount is not exactly leveled but it is pretty close.

I insert image - it is not a good quality but it serve purpose.

image.jpg

Saso

On my scope I have a length of stick on velcro (hook and eye tape) on both ends of the OTA.

I have a small platic box full of steel washers which has velcro on it and all I have to do

is stick the box where a balance weight is needed :D

Saso

On my scope I have a length of stick on velcro (hook and eye tape) on both ends of the OTA.

I have a small platic box full of steel washers which has velcro on it and all I have to do

is stick the box where a balance weight is needed :D

Brilliant solution, Geppetto! I like it.