Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone on the Astro-Physics Waiting List?

AndrewP

I was tidying up my inbox today (don't ask) and found my email confirmation from Astro-Physics of joining the waiting list.

I've signed up for an AP 130mm Grand Turismo Refractor as it breaks down for Air Travel and will most likely coincide with my 40th Birthday. Now it's only been just over 2 years though, so I'm not expecting anything for say at least another 6 years but is anyone else on the list? If so what for?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes indeed the wait is 8-9 years.

A Tak or a TEC would be almost an equal but there are 2 problems. The first is that right now I'm not in a financial position to part with the money for that priced scope (and that second hand one would be at least $7000 - 15% over the RRP) and secondly I've always wanted an AP :)

Seriously though, I went on the list as it's a dream (a realistic one as I will be able to purchase it as I've started saving now) but for now it's something wonderful to park and look forward to in a few years time when the kids are growing up more and I've changed careers!

I especially like the fact it breaks down and being a refractor nut it really will be a scope that I never sell.

So who else is on the list and for what? Or is it just me that's mad? :)

I just got notification today that I can order a 130GT - I have been on the 130 waiting list since December 2001. I already have an AP 130EDF so I need to think a little about whether to order the 130GT. I'm also on the AP160 and Riccardi Honders waiting lists.

Regards

Derrick

I was tidying up my inbox today (don't ask) and found my email confirmation from Astro-Physics of joining the waiting list.

I've signed up for an AP 130mm Grand Turismo Refractor as it breaks down for Air Travel and will most likely coincide with my 40th Birthday. Now it's only been just over 2 years though, so I'm not expecting anything for say at least another 6 years but is anyone else on the list? If so what for?

I didn't bother with the AP waiting list - I just asked Albert (Astrosource) about my dream scope, thinking it might take him a year or so to find one. He Emailed me back the same day to say he was picking one up next week and it was mine if I wanted it...!

The downside was I didn't have enough readies at the time to take him up on the offer - especially as my estimate for the secondhand value was off by 100%...and that was OTA only so I would then need a monster mount costing another few grand.

The downside of APs very long waiting lists is that the secondhand price of their scopes is often higher than the new price...the one I lust after originally retailed in the US for around $5400 (£4000) but the 'mint' secondhand one I was offered was £8500 for OTA and case only :)

Yes I went on the waiting list for the 130 GT as well but I don't think I will ever get one as the wait is many years. I have a TMB 130LW at the moment anyway.

Owen

I believe Mr Christen holds Mr Takahashi in high esteem and there is no waiting list for a Tak, so that's where my money went.

I have to agree, hence my purchase of the TOA130.

However I still joined the AP165 list 4 years ago now.

Reasons, well several:

1) I hope to look through and own one of the finest refractors ever built by human hands (reputedly and if you read any cloudy night posting - they are almost fanatical!)

2) As it will be permanently mounted I look forward to imaging with this baby..:)

3) If I don't like/need/fall on hard times etc, I could probably sell it on with little or no loss of the initial investment.

I've also been on the mak telescope list as well.

The only problem I foresee is that the average waiting list is about 7 to 8 years. Roland is already in his sixties, it may be that ol' father time beats us all, hopefully not and he carries on working well into his seventies....:)

An 8-9 yr waiting list for a scope?.

Good God thats almost as long as the waiting list to see the sunrise on the shortest day of the year from Newgrange.

Imagine ordering an AP scope as your first scope.

SURELY no optics are THAT good that they are worth the wait. For that wait i would expect Hubble type views.

Be interesting to do a real head to head of Tak/AP/Tec/TMB et al...just to see if the legendary quality is really backed up by the result.

It would be interesting if the al could include a 120-year-old Zeiss or Cooke. Of course, the modern wonders would be ahead of the uncoated achromatic antiques ... but by how much, I wonder? - Hugh

It would be interesting if the al could include a 120-year-old Zeiss or Cooke. Of course, the modern wonders would be ahead of the uncoated achromatic antiques ... but by how much, I wonder? - Hugh

By a long way....I've had the pleasure of looking through a pretty famous 5 inch Cooke, and, much as it is a lovely thing of beauty, my TMB completely obliterates it when it comes to image quality.

Cheers

Rob

What's the score then? A guy making them alone in his back garden shed?

If there is a 9 year waiting list for an item costing $5k, then you cant help but feel there is a big opportunity being missed.

Surely there has to come a point when the very optimum design, coatings etc is achieved, and that will be a repeatable computer aided manufacturing process?

And what if it was the case that as with other brands, you can get a very good individual tube, and also a not so good one.

"Ah yes, you're right, I'll have a replacement made for you. Should be ready in nine years..........." :)

What happens when you use a modern eyepiece with the Cooke objective? The Huygenian eyepieces that came with my old banger are hopeless, but it performs quite well with a Nagler - Hugh

Good point, I wonder what my TMB would be like with a decent eyepiece now you mention it...it normally just has a camera hanging off the back :)

Cheers

Rob

Ditto....and ditto Robs "Cooke" statement... it's nice, but more in the sense of knowing where it's been and its history....

TMB testing with Pentax XW and a range of Televue Ethos's to come soon :-)

(not mine I hasten to add!)

Well the original poster didn't ask if the waiting times were an issue,

only what have you ordered and if so when?

An 8-9 yr waiting list for a scope?.

Good God thats almost as long as the waiting list to see the sunrise on the shortest day of the year from Newgrange.

Imagine ordering an AP scope as your first scope.

SURELY no optics are THAT good that they are worth the wait. For that wait i would expect Hubble type views.

However you have raised some valid points.

Yes an 8 to 9 year wait for a scope is a long time, but Roland at AP makes no apologies for this and as always with products made to the finest possible tolerances, demand will always out strip supply. You know the expected wait so if you don't want to wait don't order one...simple!

I can't imagine a person who has just started in visual astronomy ordering an AP scope as their first scope, and lets be honest if they did, they wouldn't see it for another decade anyway....:)

Well your final point is a matter of opinion and I guess thats why there are telescopes for all different budgets.

I think the wait will be worth it, however I've ordered it and kind of forgotten about it to be honest, hence why I purchased another quality scope in the meantime.

Archived