740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Travel Scope

I fly to various parts of the world every few weeks and am looking at getting a small scope to take with me to pass the time in the evenings when I am not working on the boats. The sort of thing I have been looking at are the celestron c65 mini-mak. Are they any good?

These Celestron Travel Scope 70's seem to 'cheap and cheerfully' fit the bill, and are even reviewed here :):

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/89169-celestron-travelscope-70-a.html

The mak's seem to have a long focal length, which could be a big disadvantage for a little travel scope? That one is 5.71 which could mean nicer views, plus, it takes standard 1.25" EP's.

Should be able to pick one up new for £55 if you shop around (not the end of the World if someone pinches it or it gets damaged while travelling).

I have taken my WO66 and a small Giotto tripod with me on a number of occasions and they all fit (with bubble wrap) easily into my hand luggage.

Previously I have used a Meade etx 90 and Squeeeeesed it into my hand luggage. This had the advantage of tracking but with such a wide lovely view from the WO it does not matter to much