SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Purchase

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/72869-essential-reading-those-who-thinking-about-getting-into-astronomy.html

I Did reply to the post above but as it's a sticky probably not the best place to expect a reply.

After reading the Where to Start Guide which i thought was a good article i am going to invest in some binoculars and a Star Guide to get me going, Just need a little Advice.

As for Guides there are so many looking on amazon i found these Phillips range a few written by Sir Patrick Moore, Even a noob like me knows who he is.

I have not seen The Sky at Night for a good few years but use to enjoy it.

Philip's Stargazing 2010: Amazon.co.uk: Heather Couper, Nigel Henbest: Books

As for binoculars: Barska 25-125x80mm Zoom Large Astronomy Binoculars | Overstock.com

I think i have settled on these, But if any of you know of a cheaper range but high spec it would be great to get a link

I guess this is as good a place to start as any ?

Thanks

Lee.

Hi,

Being honest I would not recommend those binoculars for astronomy. Good specs are 10x50, 15x70, 15x80. Avoid zooms - too much power and too much glass with the chance of aberrations.

For the 70mm and 80mm ones you will need a tall, solid tripod as hand holding them is only possible for very short periods.

Have a look here for some decent ones:

Telescope House Binoculars

Give them or First Light Optics (top of this page) a ring and they will advise on a good tripod.

for that £££ you can get a pretty decent small telescope. Bins are great but only a telescope will give you decent views of planets and details on the moon. Also, a telescope with a bigger aperture will show you more DSOs. no?

also, defo don't get the zoom ones - 125x will be completely unusable in a cheap bino

I would say you'll soon feel the binos by them selfs are not enough to satisfy you.

A cheap decent 10x50 binos, up to 50£ would allow you a good start and will always be useful. Then you can save the rest for a good 1st scope.

Besides those big binos will require a tripod and won't be so portable and easy to use.

Sorry to post a second reply but I only suggest this because I had the exact same idea a couple of years ago, I had my eye on some giant binos in the £300 range but knowing what I know now (far from an expert) I'd have been better off with one of these as a starter:)

The SkyWatcher Heritage 130P is a GREAT scope. Given the choice between it or BIG bins....the scope wins hands down. Bins are great IF you are a binocular astronomer rather then a telescope astronomer. They have their advantages (bigger FOV) and disadvantages (low magnification). If you go for something like the Heritage and a small pair of 10X50 binoculars you have the bvest of both worlds..........all for less then £200.

Agree on the binos - if you must spend that much PLEASE talk to a shop that does astrogear and binos.

Nasty binoculars are ahead of nasty telescopes for putting people off this hobby.

I know people always push binos at beginners but I never do because a small scope from a decent manufacturer will have a mount and will nearly always outperform binoculars for WOW factor.

I have both but if I had to choose between my old SW 130 and my decent binos it would be the 130 every time.

Bins (10X50) are a GREAT way for beginners to learn the night sky. I WAS in the old school thought that bins are the best way to be introduced to astronomy but they really are not because of the low magnification. A better investment is a small 70mm-90mm scope(or as big an apeture as you can afford). The views are simply FAR superior. Its always good to have a good pair of 10X50/17x50 for those night you dont want to bother with the scope.

I have a pair of 20X90 bins that i only use on a tripod, but truth be known i get a hell of a lot more pleasure using my handheld Bresser 10X50s.

My bins just dont gimme the views of that my scopes do.

Cheers Guy's i've had a look on the First Light Optics site and think to start i will get a pair of 10x50 Binoculars and save the Extra Money for a good scope later on :)

Good decision :)

Have fun with them and keep us in touch with how you get on.

Nice to hear that. I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun in this hobby.

I started simple too, with 10x50 binos and that helped me get a general knowledge of the sky before getting a scope. Bare in mind things will be very small at 10x and the idea now is for you to come to grips with the basics of astronomy with a very simple to use accessory. That's why I said in my previous reply that you'll soon feel the need to get a scope so you can see things bigger and without all the shaking.

I bought pair of Bresser 10×50 binos after buying my first scope just as an aid to helping me learn the night sky from a different perspective and they certainly helped. As has been mentioned above their very handy if you just want to have a browse rather than setting up a scope. The weather being what it is means you may only get short window to do any observing.

Alan

Celestron cpc 925

Celestron Nextstar 6se

Vixen/Televue EPs

Canon 1000D

Archived