Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Shibby

What shall I try imaging?

Next time we get some clear skies, I'm wondering what to attempt imaging with my setup. Does anyone have any suggestions??

The setup isn't ideal - I have a SW 130P Alt-Az Goto and an unmodded Nikon D70. To achieve focus, I'm using a 2x barlow - this unfortunately gives my a fairly narrow FOV (estimate 0.6 deg) meaning I can only track for around 30 seconds at a time until star trails start appearing.

Here's the one image I have managed so far, of M42: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/93234-m42-managed-image.html

Depends where you are located. I have clear skies predicted for tomorrow morning, and if you are the same I would have to say give Saturn a go ...

I'm Peterborough in East Anglia... Where abouts are you? If stargazing from my back garden, I'm looking at the North & West half of the sky. I may be wrong but I think saturn is in the complete wrong direction for me? :)

Sorry for the delay in replying - won't be a lot of good for this morning!!

When I was out [between 4.30 and 7.30] it went from SSE [164] to SSW [219]

For planets you will probably find the 2x more useful than 1.6x - they don't get much bigger than 1' [1/60 degree] so 0.6 deg will be more than enough. Of course, if you are after more extended targets, that is a different story.