Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCT visual back quetsion.

Could somebody, in small words and with lots of hand gestures, explain to me what a visual back is, what it does, and why SCTs seem to be sold without them, and what you have if you don't have a visual back? I've seen pictures of them, and I can't seem to get the hang of it.

If I buy a SCT, do I have to go out afterwards and buy a visual back?

Could somebody, in small words and with lots of hand gestures, explain to me what a visual back is, what it does, and why SCTs seem to be sold without them, and what you have if you don't have a visual back? I've seen pictures of them, and I can't seem to  get the hang of it.

the rear cell is the thread on the back of the SCT OTA onto which you screw various accessories.

the visual back is the adaptor which screws onto the rear cell thread and converts the telescope to 31.7mm/50.8mm fittings for  visual use hence its name.

you take the visual back off tho fit camera adaptors onto the SCT.

the visual back is supplied as standard with all Celestron telescopes.

Simple as that, eh? So what it is, fundamentally, is an eyepiece holder. They could have said so!

Well, OK the visual back screws onto the 2" thread on the back of most SCT's. Assuming they have the 2" thread... some have a 3" and so need another adapter between that and the "visual back". Called the "visual" back because, as WH said, they let you put an EP into something that is not technically designed for visual work.

Arthur

PS - yes I know, I should've thought before I posted the first comment... but it depends which bit you call the VB :D

Archived