SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seben's Big Boss 1400mm-150 Reflector

Ok as a complete and freely admitted newb myself . . . .

I wonder if Steve would do a nice deal for you on Advanced Series - Celestron C100 ED-R ED which already comes with a CG5, but upgraded to the Celestron - Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO ?

I don't know what sort of photography you have in mind, but the mount should be tough enough, and the optics good enough for nice pictures, with perhaps the only worry being the scope is an f9?

Would a focal reducer/field flattener manage to get the f-stop fast enough and wide field enough for DSO's?

Perhaps the next question would be, what type of astro photography would you like to do (which does seem to affect the telescope needed if I read things right), and consequently what budget would be necessary to leave over for the camera?

I suppose another option would be to go for that GOTO CG5 so all motors, bearings, etc., are all known good brand spanking new, and shove something like this Startravel - Skywatcher Startravel 102T OTA f4.9 widefield on it, and get all your add on gear for photography sorted with it, based around the 2" focuser fittings?

Then keep your eyes peeled for a really nice OTA that fits exactly what you want long term, in the secondhand market? That 102mm f4.9 OTA would then be the nice basis for a 'keeper' on a camera tripod as a grab and go and something to use while imaging?

Or, watch the Euro exchange rate very closely, because the financial excrement looks to be hitting the rotating object very, very soon, and the Euro could easily be toast (sadly I am not kidding) and have a mind boggling exchange rate before we blink, and look at something like Telescope-Service: Refractors - Achromats, APOchromats, ED Refractors and be poised to snap up a bargain?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Much grateful to you all so far and will keep my options open for the moment, am trawling through all sig blocks and looking what people have and seeing what I need :D

Jim

That's a good idea Jim, spot what the ones doing the piccys you like are using, and see how affordable their setup is. :)

Should help avoid the 'Decide in haste and repent at your liesure' bit. ;)

Archived