SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seben's Big Boss 1400mm-150 Reflector

Putting a GOTO on this scope would be like filling a Trabant with premium unleaded...

Use it for what it is...try to sort out the optics/collimation as best you can, and enjoy the views of the Moon... hopefully it will inspire and keep your interest in Astronomy, which, is a wonderful hobby and one that will keep you going to decades.

These scopes are indeed "cheap and cheerful"...a euphemism for so much these days

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, I am going to stick with my "Trabant" for the present time, it will help me learn and I am not too worried about spending a bit of money on it. One question, is there a right angle scope which I can place on the eyesight?

Jim

Do you mean a right angled finder scope ?

John, no, but come to that for both scopes, just something I am thing about.

Jim

Astro newtonian scopes nornally show an inverted image and it actually helps if your finder shows the same view. You can get image inverters and finders with diagonals to invert the image but you really don't need them form astronomy - the inverters don't help image quality at all in fact so not recommended.

John, my apologies, did not make myself clear, I wish to put angle lens on the main sight, I want to be able to use the sight without having to move round the telescope. Hope I am making myself clear :) . Have tried flebay and other site to no avail :) .

Jim

I think what you mean is a right angled finder. Sometimes these are Right Angle Corrected Image (RACI) which means what you see with the finder is in the same orientation as what your eyeballs are seeing. Some right angles are just that - right angled which means the image is reversed left to right but not corrected.

I have tested one of these and found it to be good for the price Finders - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope

There are a few around though and you may be happier with a red dot finder - take a look at the thread about finder scopes versus red dots.

Okay, stoppppp, sorry this has nothing to do with the finder, correcting images or anything other than the main eyepiece. Rather than being sideways on to the telescope I wish to look down the eyepiece as though looking down the telescope, I would like to find a right angle eyepiece for the main scope, have looked on the net to no avail.

Jim

I enquired about this once, but my local astroshop said that for Newtonian reflectors right angle eyepieces just don't really work, hence your fruitless search. I think there is one on the market, but the guy in the shop said that it wasn't worth the effort.

Ahhhhhh I think you may mean you want a diagonal like this Diagonals thats why we is confuzzled cos a reflector wouldnt normally have one. There'd be no point as its just more glass in the way and therefore a worse image.

It might also mean the scope may not come to focus with one in as they would add to the light path.

Assuming it could focus you could do it but I guess I'd have to ask why you would want to ?

Thank you all, now I know why I could not find one, ah well, I will continue to stumble over the tripod lol

Jim

You should be able to rotate the scope in it's tube rings (by loosening the bolt / screw that holds them tight around the tube) to get the eyepiece to a convenient viewing position - it's something you normally have to do with a scope that's on an equatorial mount as the movement of the mount will put the eyepiece in some awkward positions when you are viewing some areas of the sky.

Ideally I would consider your next scope to be a refractor or SCT/compound type. Ideally from a known company, like Skywatcher/Celestron etc... some good bargains, and the mount will work with them. It's something I did back in the late 90s when I got my first proper scope, a 6" newtonian, low cost...quickly got fed up of the design for viewing, and the optics weren't up to much, so we've all been there

Ideally I would consider your next scope to be a refractor or SCT/compound type. Ideally from a known company, like Skywatcher/Celestron etc... some good bargains, and the mount will work with them. It's something I did back in the late 90s when I got my first proper scope, a 6" newtonian, low cost...quickly got fed up of the design for viewing, and the optics weren't up to much, so we've all been there

Yes I agree, I don't mind spending money now as long as I can transfer some of the gear to a new scope. Once I have an outdoor place I will dispence with the tripod for a pier.

Jim

Well it has been a good few days, have taken in all that has been said, thank you all, good advice from all :) . I will carry on for the moment viewing through the bedroom window, no choice really :mad: , but as soon as it is good enough I will start looking at a position to build an observatory so it will mean humping the telescope round the garden looking at the best position, I will return and ask question on this later, in the meantime it will be a case of reading the threads and learning, thank you all :) .

Putting a GOTO on this scope would be like filling a Trabant with premium unleaded...

The Trabant wouldn't run very far if you put premium unleaded in. The 2-stroke engine requires the oil for lubrication to be mixed into the petrol (1:33 and 1:50 mix ratios were available). I know because I owned 3 Trabants earlier in my life. (I'm from former East Germany).

But that's totally off topic now.. :)

Archived