740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Quadrantids meteor shower tonight!!!!

They radiate from that location but you should be able to see them in the sky.

The peak is when you will see most but there will still be others.

Probably more likely to see them now before the moon comes up and makes them harder to see.

I am of out there in a bit.

Good point. The moon rises in a couple of hours.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think i'll venture outside. Its too cold. I'll get a nice clear view from the window at the back of my house. Did i mention its cold?.

Yeah, but what the heck?! :hello2: It took me an hour to thaw after a long hike in the Winter sunshine today! I love being outdoors, my skin doesn't...

If your skies are reasonably clear.. you should be able to see ac ouple of sporadics on any night..

I am spoiled with very dark skies (when cloudfree) and can count anything up to 10 -20 on a good night of neck stretching...

I would be disappointed if I didnt see a couple in a good night anywhere...

They are always arriving not just in showers!

Good luck!

Steve

I think about 1 am is the best time, sure I read it somewhere.

From what Lukeskywatcher has said on here, and from what I can make out on my planisphere and stellarium I think you are right.

The constellation bootes is what you are looking for.

I decided to brave the cold and head outside. I was out from 18:15 until 19:45. I saw one meteor at 18:32. It was VERY fast and VERY small. It had a nice golden orange glow to it. It was headedfrom N to S (it was very low down in the S). Not sure if it was a Quad but the direction it came from seems to me to indicate that it was.

Will try again later when my nose and legs have thawed out.

Came in around that time for 10mins to thaw out so probably missed it!

Curiously at east one site suggests that the best time to view would have been before dawn this morning:

http://www.spaceweather.com/meteors/quadrantids/quadrantids.html

But then again there isn't actually any weather in space.... Is there?

If they are correct though, then wouldn't the 'few hours' that the shower should have lasted have passed by now?

Edited by rusirius

I just ran a timelapse of Bootes on Stellarium. Bootes really doesnt rise very high until after midnight,1am.

If I had only know this earlier.

We have planned our whole weekend around going out to a dark spot to watch this intense shower. The S&N mag indicated a maximum at 18:00, so thats when we went to look! Knowing that this shower has a sharp maximum, I thought that there would be little point in viewing more than four hours before or after the max. :) Not to mention the only cloud that I had seen today, and then snow.

The dumb force is strong with me :) unlikely to be my last, but lets hope its my worst.

clear viewing to all :hello2:

Yes you will still see some meteors. You will see more and more as the radiant rises higher and higher because the rotation of the earth is moving us into the line of fire of the direction they are coming from. They will effectively be hitting us head-on around midnight/1am. The Quadrantids have a very short sharpe peak. If the radiant is below the horizon during the peak you will not see too many (certainly not the predicted hourly rate). The shower is still active hrs after the peak and you will see many (if the moon is not messing about with the sky).It wil be worth checking out later on. The moon will most likely wash out most of them but you can still see some if they are bright enough.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Even though the radiant wasn't high you would've still seen the meteors wouldn't you?

Thats what I thought. With the cloud and trying to avoid it whlst driving home, stopped three times in all and saw nothing :hello2:

5:30 - 6:30 and two more stops.

Have posted elsewhere on the board regarding this but only just noticed this thread. Saw a large meteor travelleing N to S ish overhead (Reading Berks) and I actually heard the whoosh of this thing I'm gobsmacked and still buzzing :hello2:

I was out with our guests last night and between us we saw 30 meteors in an hour (7.15 to 8.20pm) before the Moon rose. Don't get excited through the majority were mag 4 to 5, invisible in light pollution. About every 10th was 2nd mag.

They were everywhere in the sky all coming from the north (obviously) but some went though Cygnus and Pegusas with other through Gemini and Taurus.

Once the Moon was up it wiped out any chance of seeing all but the bright ones.

Mike