Narrowband

Quadrantids meteor shower tonight!!!!

hi ive heard that its the quadrantids meteor shower tonight cant wait the last meteor i saw i must have been about 10 years old so im looking forward to this if i knew where to look in the sky i know some meteor showers are over certain parts of the sky but where is this lol? sorry if the questions sounds wiered , im still very new to this.

and what time would be best to sit and watch them

kelly

i always appreciate your help

happy new year 2010

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi ive heard that its the quadrantids meteor shower tonight cant wait the last meteor i saw i must have been about 10 years old so im looking forward to this if i knew where to look in the sky i know some meteor showers are over certain parts of the sky but where is this lol? sorry if the questions sounds wiered , im still very new to this.

and what time would be best to sit and watch them

kelly

i always appreciate your help

happy new year 2010

From what I have read (I am also totally new) they will be visible in any part of the sky that is clear from around 6pm uk time.

Quadrantids 3rd - 4th Jan 2010:

Typically, 40 or so bright, blue and fast (25.5 miles per second) meteors will radiate from the constellation Bootes, some blazing more than halfway across the sky.

A small percentage of them leave persistent dust trains. This shower usually has a very sharp peak, usually lasting only about an hour.

For more info, Click this link

http://meteorshowersonline.com/quadrantids.html

Nah, the Geminids in December are worth it....if the clouds dont mess it up like they did a few weeks ago.Mind you i have never seen the Quadrantids. Maybe this will become my new favourite meteor shower. Stranger things have happened.

P.S.~~~A handy tip for observing meteors is not to look directly at the radiant. You wont see too many. Look about 45 degrees away from it in any direction.

i found out that i have to go out after midnight tonight is this true? to view the meteor shower

More then likely. Thats usually the time when the radiant is high up overhead and gives the best chance of seeing them. You will see some before that say 10pm onwards. 6 PM is the peak but the constellation Bootes will hardly be high enough in the sky at that time to warrent going out so early.

More then likely. Thats usually the time when the radiant is high up overhead and gives the best chance of seeing them. You will see some before that say 10pm onwards. 6 PM is the peak but the constellation Bootes will hardly be high enough in the sky at that time to warrent going out so early.

Thanks for clarification Paul, I did not intend or want to mislead people I was just going by what I read.

:hello2:

They radiate from that location but you should be able to see them in the sky.

The peak is when you will see most but there will still be others.

Probably more likely to see them now before the moon comes up and makes them harder to see.

I am of out there in a bit.

Archived