Not sure what equipment I need for astro-photography.

gobes

Ok... so my scope is a Skymax 127 - which takes 1.25" eyepieces. And my camera is a Canon EOS 400D.

As far as I can tell - I'll need both a T-Ring, and a T-adapter (not 100% sure on this). If this is the case... can anybody recommend a T-ring and T-adapter for me? I have no idea if these things are universal fit, or if I'll need ones that are made bespoke for my camera and scope etc etc :-S

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Heres a link to the camera adapter you'll need:

Celestron Canon EOS T MountTelescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

And heres a link to the remote shutter you'll need, if you try to press the button on the camera yourself, the images will come out fuzzy, you need to use a cable:

Remote Shutter Release for Canon 350D 400D 450D 1000D on eBay (end time 03-Jan-10 00:01:21 GMT)

I've got one of these, theyre cheap and theyre great, they also enable you to do "bulb" shots.

Oh... also - I don't have a tracking mount (just a standard EQ), but was hoping I would still be able to take decent images of the moon given that it's pretty bright. Should this be ok? And what are my chances of take pics of planets without a tracking mount? I'm guessing not very good right?

Thanks again ;-)

There are a few things to consider. Your Mak has a very long focal length so would never be a good bet for deep sky imaging even on an autoguided tracking mount. I would simply take deep sky out of the equation altogether.

I think you can expect heavy vignetting so get your target good and central.

You have a fighting chance of some decent moon and maybe something on the planets because the exposures are very short. Give it a whizz!

Olly

• 9 months later...

thanks for the links, I just got me a Bintel 8" dobs scope and have a 400D and want to set up for AP..

SO all I need is that ring adapter??, I think the eyepeice is 125mm??

Looking forward to it!

Archived