SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Probably a stupid Stellarium question, but..

.. I can't figure out how top stop a Stellarium-initiated GOTO when it's controlling my EQ5. I've had a couple of mount collisions now - (thankfully no damage) because I can't figure out how to stop it once going. (Well, other than racing over to it and killing the power..)

When using the handset, you just hit ESC and it stops slewing immediately.

How to replicate the same behaviour from Stellarium? (As the handset doesn't respond when the software kicked-off the GOTO.)

See, told you it was stupid.. :hello2:

TIA.

Mike.

Chaps - thanks, but doesn't seem to work here. It still slews on, after hitting CTRL-3.

---

EDIT: Aha, your answers make sense now..

I've been reading up on EQMOD, knowing that it has mount collision limits built in. In messing around with it for evaluation purposes, I see that Ctrl-3 is the default setting for an abort when you're using StellariumScope to link StellariumScope/EQMOD. Seems like duplicated functionality to me, when you could just hit the stop button in EQMOD to abort the slew. Still, could be useful if you have Stellarium Full-screen on top I suppose.

I should have been more clear in my question:

EQMOD/StellariumScope isn't a practical option for me right now, as I'm using Linux as the OS on the astro-laptop. (Unless anyone's successfully got it running under Wine.. :hello2:)

Accordingly, I'm using the Synscan handset for Polar & GOTO alignment, then handing off to Stellarium and "TelescopeServerNexStar" (Its native Celestron/Synta mount driver) to handle object selection & slewing to them.

So, does anyone know how to abort a GOTO when using Stellarium in that fashion?

Hi Mike,

Your best bet is to join the EQMOD Yahoo! user group. Various O.S. have been tried with EQMOD, but each will have it's own application solutions. You will find the Yahoo forum very informative on a mumber of issues. I'ts also worth downloading the user manual for reference.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Hi Mike,

Your best bet is to join the EQMOD Yahoo! user group. Various O.S. have been tried with EQMOD, but each will have it's own application solutions. You will find the Yahoo forum very informative on a mumber of issues. I'ts also worth downloading the user manual for reference.

Hi MickyWay,

Thanks for your kind response. Unless I'm mistaken, it would appear that you've interpreted my response as an EQMOD question. Not at all. I'm not trying to use EQMOD or ASCOM at all - just pure ol' Stellarium and it's native "TelescopeServerNexStar" Celestron/Synta mount driver - on Linux.

EQMOD only came into it when I was trying to make sense of the potential solutions posted by others - i.e. the CTRL-3 "Abort" command available when you use "StellariumScope" and the ASCOM platform on Windows.

I'm still after a way to abort a GOTO slew initiated by Stellarium that doesn't involve rushing over to the mount and killing the power - in the event of an imminent mount collision.

• 2 years later...

Hello Mike,

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have just installed a synscan upgrade on my EQ5, and I am intending to try out Stellarium to control the mount.

It may be a very silly suggestion, but would hitting the "Pause" button in (the latest version of) Stellarium stop the slewing? :)

Best Wishes,

Jim

....ah, I've just realised why my suggestion is so silly! You're problem is when you're using Stellarium to move the mount to an object, not when tracking it, hence your rush to hit the power button (on the Synscan motor controller) if it gets close to a "limit" - i.e. risk of collision.

In that case, unless you have been told anything different, I can't think of a command in Stellarium that stops the goto completing its move....

Jim

Hi,

I seem to have found a clunky way of aborting CTRL + 1 type slew commands in Stellarium:

Make sure that in the "Slew Telescope To" Menu you have the co-ordinates set to your park position (say) at Polaris and that your telescope is selected (as opposed to "virtual reticle").

Select the object you want to move to in the usual way.

Press CTRL + 1 (or whatever your telescope is listed as). The telescope starts to move.

If you think you are going to go past a limit of movement, hit CTRL + 0, and the "Slew Telescope to" window will appear.

Now hit the "Slew" button and the telescope will immediately start to return to the co-ordinates you have set as Park position.

See what I mean by clunky...?! :)

May I suggest you try it without the telescope mounted a few times to see if it works for you?

Good luck!

Jim

Archived