SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Telescope.

Hi everyone and Happy New Year :hello2:

For Christmas I was given a Heritage 76 Dobsonian, which is my first ever telescope so I'm a complete novice. I've done a lot of research on the net as to what I'll need but it's all a bit overwhelming. Could someone give me some advice on the basic accessories that I should get? it comes equipped with 2 Super MA eyepieces, 10 and 25mm. Any advice on recommended, affordable eyepieces that would work well with this particular scope would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

TELESCOPE SUPPLIERS - SKY-WATCHER TELESCOPE

You will be able to learn your way around the sky with the Heritage scope that you have. To help you will need a star atlas - there is a free one at Taki's Home Page save and print on A4 paper - when they get tatty just print off another copy! Much cheaper than a book!! There are plenty of interesting objects that you can see with a scope of the size you have!!!! Look and learn.

I would stick with the eyepieces supplied for now untill you are ready to move on to a larger telescope. Download Stellarium, buy a copy a Turn Left at Orion and also buy a red LED torch.

Peter

This is good advice from Peter - hold back from buying anything more for a while until you get to know the strengths and weaknesses of the scope and your preferences.

You get enough to get you up and running with the scope.

Hi Hutchie,

All the above holds. Good advice.

Did the scope come with a collimating device? If not look at Collimation

The cheshire should do it. Then read up on collimating. Buy a wooly hat. Then contact The Renfrewshire Astro soc.

As you live in a city, have a look round for some darkish sites. Your scope is small enough transport almost anywhere.

Sorted.

Have fun.

Dave

i have the little scope too and i don't thiink it's built to be user collimated which is a bit of a drawback at F4 ish. tbh although it is a very nice little piece of kit and I realy love mine i bought it mainly as a first scope for my 5 year old son and it's pretty hopeless as an astronomical instrument other than for the moon and the really bright clusters. better e/ps actually help quite a lot although i would agree with a previous poster that of you want to spend more £££ on the hobby, get a slightly bigger scope first of all. Don't let the limitations of the little one put you off the hobby -it's basically an introductory scope for a youngish child. Having said that it is a big improvement on the previous 76mm offering which sort of looked like a butternut squash and you had to rollit around a little bowl to point it...

Hi again Hutchi,

Hmmm. Seems like you don't need a collimator yet then ! Sorry, I didn't realise. I thought you'd need one quite soon with such a fast scope. Hopefully it holds well.

Never fear. Have a look at Kielder Forest Star Camp

March isn't too far away and it isn't too far to go. Quite a few lads come down from your way. Bring the scope and have a look at some others.

Armed with your scope and some bins if you have, or can borrow some, you'll soon learn the sky.

Dave.

Archived