SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Everything is upside down

Sam

Well I've finally made it back home after our little stay in the UK for a few years and brought back with me a bunch of astro gear including the 16" Lightbridge. So despite the full moon, a bit of high cloud, gale force wind warnings and an overgrown rose bush I assembled the 16" and dragged it out onto the deck (not dragged but struggled carefully past the overgrown rose). Now it's summer here in NZ so it gets dark around 10pm. I have a pretty good site for astronomy, the nearest town is 20km away and over two ranges of hills, I think I can quite safely say I have no light pollution, which is rather quite good!

Whilst nosing at the moon I noted the familiar belt of Orion, but this time upside down to what I'm used to. The scope had a little time to cool down so I thought I would have a look at the Orion Nebula (M42) - OMG!!! I have never seen it like that! there was a redish colour on the edge of the cloud and in the middle it was a motely blue with a hint of green - quite amazing, the extent of the cloud was more than I have ever seen as well. And this was with a full moon! I had to get Mrs LB to have a look as well just to make sure I was actually seeing colour in M42 - she saw the same colours.

The next stop was the Large Megallanic Cloud and the big nebula cloud and a bunch of others nearby (I think its NGC 2070?) very impressive. Any way that was my first observing session from NZ and my first for 2010.

Sam

I wondered where you had gone Sam, I'm gld you arrived safely and I bet that LB is awesomme under your skies. It must be really odd to see all views upside down but I'm sure you will get used to it in no time at all.

Thanks Steve,

It's been interesting seeing the same stuff as I viewed in the UK. Pleiades sits about 20 degrees above the horizon and I could make out Aries and some of the square of pegasus the other night. Orion is amazing as it sits quite high.

Sam

Hi Sam - sounds like you have observing heaven - large apertures, dark skies and the southern hemisphere.... tasty. Congrats on your move back to kiwi land. Watch out for the weta's

Too right...

Sam, the Large Megallanic Cloud? :) Wow, you must be incredibly excited to have a new part of the sky to explore.

All the best with your return, and I am glad the lightbridge had a safe journey. :)

Hiya Sam, good to hear you and the family have settled in OK and the LB arrived in good condition.

Sounds like a bit of gardening (rose tree trimming) is in order :)

Gawd, I wsih they had 16" lightridges when we lived in Aus all those years ago, the Southern skies are wonderfull.

Archived