Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Partial Lunar Eclipse Dec 31 2009

pulsar

I was a very lucky man to get a look at the partial eclipse of the moon tonight. I began my observations at about 6 pm but due to loads of clouds did not manage much except blurred and fuzzy quick flashes of the moon between the myriad clouds overhead. But just as the time of maximum eclipse occured the clouds rolled back and I got to see the event from its mid-point to final contact. And ironically as soon as it was all over and I had brought my binoculars inside the clouds returned. But the weather looks clear for the next couple of days so a good end to 2009 and a good start to 2010.

Happy New Year Everybody.

pulsar:headbang:

Here we had a realativly okish day but it cleared late afternoon. Of course as the Moon rose the clouds came too. Saw about the mid 1 minute of it through a break in the cloud with my wife. Then it completed clouded over.

Anyway Happy New Year to all

Nice one guys and as an added bonus tonight I just got back inside after seeing a triple moon ring. Wow it was way cool.:hello2: These 3 rings were really well defined and solid looking all were perfectly illuminated. It was really quite something to see.:)

Did anyone get any pictures of the eclipse?

I just managed a few snaps thru the Meg 72, while being moaned at to come inside for Ye Olde Family Dinner. :hello2:

Thru the Meg (prime focus, 1/500th sec @ ISO100 19:02 GMT) :

partial_eclipse.jpg

The general scene at around 7pm using 28-55 lens:

moon_and_a_wee_bit_of_orion.jpg

I took these photos at 7.51 and 7.52pm on New Year's day in Kent and I am wondering whether that is a shadow on the moon, and if so what it might be from. I didn't notice until I viewed them on the computer and the next picture I took was at 7.56 and there is no shadow there. Or could it be a bug on the lens? It was below freezing and there were no bugs around that I noticed.

Any ideas?

post-18256-133877418308_thumb.jpg

Archived