SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light polution any where in the UK

Darren B

I've found this web-site today which can show you roughly what you could see in the night sky anywhere in the UK. need-less light pollution . Just scroll down halfway till you come across a light polution map of the UK with a star map next to it. Just zoom into the area you live in and the towns and cities names will appear. Just click on your area and the start chart will show you rough how much/little light polution there is and how much of the night sky you can see. Obviously you can check out nearby dark sky sites aswell.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehe that's quite nifty. I clicked on my location and could count the stars on two hands. Which is pretty spot on for an average night in my backyard. Although i have had some rare really good nights lately and things were a lot better.

I have to say that i seriously dont think my location is -6 when observed in bins or a scope. It most definitely is when taking exposures of more then 10s. I am in a semi-rural/urban area 20 miles south of Dublin city yet the map has my location in the same light as if i was observing from the city centre.

Go figure.

I have to say that i seriously dont think my location is -6 when observed in bins or a scope. It most definitely is when taking exposures of more then 10s. I am in a semi-rural/urban area 20 miles south of Dublin city yet the map has my location in the same light as if i was observing from the city centre.

Go figure.

I think it should be seen as a general guide for larger areas, rather than a guide to every nook and cranny that exists. It's basically saying get as far away from the city as possible. Nice little thing though.

I think it should be seen as a general guide for larger areas, rather than a guide to every nook and cranny that exists. It's basically saying get as far away from the city as possible. Nice little thing though.

Yeah but it shows areas 30 mins from me (deep in the countryside) as being not much better then where i am. I have been to those areas and they are the darkest skies i have been to since i was in the Sahara. I guess the Sahara is so dark that even the deepest darkest parts of Ireland come across as being in the middle of a city sitting under a street light.

My location shows a -7 - in actual fact its MUCH worse than their sky map would indicate. Since the idiots at the industrial estate behind me installed new lights my view to the North and North West is zero. Not even a bright planet would show. To the South some idiot has installed floodlighting on huge poles across the central grassed area of the estate. Its so bright even Jupiter is now invisible against it.

Looking directly up you are lucky to see a single star even close to the Zenith.

The sky at night magazine for Jan has a map of the light pollution of the UK, needless to say the darkest skies in Britain are mid wales, north devon and most regions of Scotland north of edinburgh. Well worth taking a look if you'd like to find the darkest skies in the UK

Mine was not quite right. It claimed worse skies than I have.. I'm 5 mins from the water which is south and east for me with a field in front of that, so no LP in that direction.. only LP I have is to the west (Southampton & Fawley refinery)

Good site though.. thanks

Mine was not quite right. It claimed worse skies than I have.. I'm 5 mins from the water which is south and east for me with a field in front of that, so no LP in that direction.. only LP I have is to the west (Southampton & Fawley refinery)

Good site though.. thanks

I have been thinking about this today, it's not fully accurate it's just a rough guide imo. I know of at least 3 sites that would be pitch black around my area, that dont even come close to being recognized by that guide.

There is no substitute for local knowledge.

Archived