Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

AstroTiger

Free online library of Astro books

A useful resource...

Most of the "modern" books will only be previews.. if you select "full view" then the books will be from the 1700-1800 period...

Peter...

Thanks -- great resource.

Firstly, there are some absolute gems in there. I shall be trawling through Max Caspar's Kepler shortly, and will need to brush up my French to tackle Laplace in the original this coming winter. Then there are others that I spent tens of pounds on for the paper version (eg Karttunen's superb Fundamental Astronomy) (worth every penny, but now all that is available for free!)

I don't wish to appear to diss what is obviously a valuable resource but, as with all of the internet, one needs to be wary of what passes itself off as "fact". Two books on the first page leapt out as being well-known examples of pseudo-astronomy (aka astrocrud):

• Velikovsky: Worlds in Collision
  • Santillana: Hamlet's Mill

There are a few more of this sort of thing (but I'll leave that as an exercise for the interested reader :) ).

Thanks for the link. Found two books to keep me busy over Xmas while the family watch telly.

David