Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Might as well join the party. M42 and running friend

Catanonia

My 1st proper attempt at this and was limited to 5 min guiding maximum as was using the ED120 as a guide scope for the ED80.

I have a big hedge in my way and makes imaging this target quite difficult. Limited to about 3 hours on this target at the moment.

Anyways, enough of the excuses, this is a 1 hour 45min composition of 5mins, 1min and 30 second subs with the 5 mins taking over 1.5 hours of the data.

All shot on Canon EOS1000D Baader modified with a LP clip filter all mounted on EQ6 Pro mount with the ED120 / QHY5 / PHD as guides.

Hard processing this and need way way way more data to get a decent image. (Just look at TJ's for a comparison of what 20 min subs does against 5min ones)

Hope you like, not how I want it to be after seeing TJ's outstanding image, but will have to do as never imaged it before and learnt alot doing it.

Ok enough excuses here is my 1st M42.

Orion Completed.jpg

You have certainly captured a chimney load of soot there. 1 hour 45mins well spent. I love the colour of the running man. As an excercise in pulling out the dim stuff it is brilliantly executed but the main body of the nebula has suffered a bit with the smoothing you've had to do after the big stretches. It would be interesting to compare with a gentler stretch and and a sharper M42.

You have certainly captured a chimney load of soot there. 1 hour 45mins well spent. I love the colour of the running man. As an excercise in pulling out the dim stuff it is brilliantly executed but the main body of the nebula has suffered a bit with the smoothing you've had to do after the big stretches. It would be interesting to compare with a gentler stretch and and a sharper M42.

Indeed mate, 1:45 is not enough on this target in 5 min subs. Need some 15 min subs min on this to get the proper structure without resorting to well, you know :hello2:

Looking at the data and re-working a few times, I didn't actually get any of the main structure of the nebula in the detail I want to see. 5 mins wasn't enough with the conditions / scope etc.

Aiming to get the OAG that TJ uses, that way can swap it between the scopes with ease and not worry about what / how I am guiding with and flex etc..

Going to re-check the scopes, clean the optics as having some issues with them and try to get some 15 min subs on this to add later on. Hoping to get about 3 hours worth next time. Watch this space :)

Archived