Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

yesyes

So, who's got astro presents for Christmas?

Merry Christmas everyone,

Just joined the site and new to astronomy.

I have had a Skyhawk 1145P for Christmas from my boyfriend and am so excited to try it out but cant get it set up, havent a clue on what the instruction manual is telling me to do on collimating it so thinking of joining a club to start me of. Does anyone know of any beginners clubs around Crewe, Nantwich area?:hello2:

Thanks

Joanne

Got a bar of Galaxy from missus & my daughter also had a Bottle of baileys and Dvd/book of the Universe from my Son & Ex

Bought myself a second hand EQ6 :hello2: so all good. Im the same as yourself yeti mate, i'll buy what i want when i have the cash....but had a great time seeing the kids happy n surprised, just wish it wasn't under the pretence of some fat idiot in a red coat jumping down our none-existant chimney. And then when your son says "how can santa visit all houses in one nite and have all presents on one sleigh carried by flying raindeer?" I sooo want to tell him the truth but his moms not having any of it >..< blumming hate it haha.

Lucky me, my wife bought me the following x-mas presents:

1. QHY5 guide cam.

2. ST80 guide scope.

3. 3 X barlow lens.

4. Making Every Photon Count.

Still waiting for the ST80 and the book. Should receive them early in the new year, cant wait.

Thank you.

My wife got me a NexImage Planet/Moon cam, a 32mm SP eyepiece, a Solar Filter, a Skywatcher 12v Power Tank (BEST THING EVER) and a skywatcher red LED torch :hello2:

In non-astro gifts, I got a Dylan Moran Stand up DVD, a hat, scarf and jumper, chilli plant, choc orange, gah loads of things, I'm too spoilt :)

Hmmmm... reading the replies I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have asked... :hello2: *jealous*

legion48: I hope it's a star with planets around? :)

Besides all the stuff I bought myself I had a Hotech laser colli (still on it's way) and one of my orthos was a gift too (although I secretly used it before the 24th! But lets keep that between us... :hello2:)

I got a Asus Eee netbook, apparently it has a 10 hour battery so no more leads while observing outside.

I got the 10 hour battery upgrade for my Acer Mick, for exactly the same reasons charged it yesterday and used the netbook most of the day and still got loads of umph left.

Hey Dark Knight, the Ushankas are great, I bought a synthetic one last year and always wear it on winter sessions, keeps your ears toasty warm.

Wifey bought me the Jerry Lodriguss Guide to Astrophotography with DSLRs and an A4 electro luminescent panel for taking decent flats after some very heavy hints over the last 2 months e.g. leaving the web sites on favourites and telling her thats what I want:D

philj

Edited by philj

I was very lucky; my Mum and Stepdad got me a brand new 130PM (My first telescope), on an EQ-2 motorised mount with a couple of books to go along! I have a great 130X eyepiece too, which is the source of the amazement I have been writing about in the posts I have made in the reports section lately. The Moon is mind-blowing in that view! Craters with central peaks, mountain ranges, surface channels...

My Grandparents gave me £90 which equates to another flying lesson too - my 10th hour!

I got a great book called "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking too.

Great gifts, George! :) What a caring family.

I reckon they've been-a-snoopin' in this forum, eh? :hello2:

Great gifts, George! :) What a caring family.

I reckon they've been-a-snoopin' in this forum, eh? :hello2:

I wouldn't be suprised :)

I think they got me it because I was travelling to my Grandad's house every clear night to use his 130PM! I'm so glad I hve my own :p

Mine has bought me "For all mankind" on DVD...and stumped up towards the TMB :-)

I got Seve Richards book, Making Every Photon Count. I also got some warm clothes, new scarf and fingerless gloves. From my missus I got a 500Gb ext. hard drive so that I will be able to keep any reasonable subs and not dump them after I have processed an image from them, I can then add to or revisit as my abilities come on.

I didn't however get the 1000d I asked for, but hey I was chancing my luck with that one..... lol

Gary

I also got Steve's book - Making Every Photon Count, which is excellent. I am savouring it slowly because it is written so that I can understand it!

Mostly books for me this year - in addition to the above, I got the Hatfield Lunar SCT Atlas, the New Atlas of the Moon by Legault and Brunier and New Scientist's How to Make a Tornado!

I got a dew heater control box along with dew heaters for both my newt and binos. Nice extras were Levy's biography of Tombaugh of Pluto fame, O'Mearas book on observing the Herschel 400 and a tool box for the accessories and charts.

Clear skies

Mark

Edited by gliderpilot

I got a North Face McMurdo parka for those cold nights at the eyepiece/laptop - it's proven seriously useful up here at my parents where they've got 6 inches of snow and the temperature stubbornly refuses to rise above zero.

I've also got my 2010 Yearbook of astronomy. I got my Mum a set of Opticron imagic 10x50 binoculars for my old man which I had a chance to use last night. I've decided to tell him there's a fault and I'll need to take them back :hello2: They're pretty amazing binoculars.

James

Some lucky boys and girls here,you must all have been very good.:hello2:

Me ,well I got turn left at Orion,and a nice juicy cheque of my parents.

So the Omni 150 may be making way for something maybe 8" and orange coloured:D.

Somebody lovely bought me a lens pen, Baader optical fluid, a 2010 Yearbook of Astronomy, an astro-calender and a big lens rocket-blower-puffer-thingy! :)

How marvellous was that?! :hello2:

Got one astro related pressie from someone very special to me - Carl Sagan's Cosmos series on DVD. :)

Ohhh no way! I used to watch that when I was a kid, it left quite an impression on me. Carl Sagan had such a poetic way of putting things, enjoy that :)

As for me, I got the Stargazers Handbook - pretty useful so far cos it contains star charts, pics and info on quite a number of DSOs. Something to whet the appetite while me scope is in the post :hello2:

Well - I got a laser collimator for our new dob and "Turn Left at Orion" which is brilliant - both from her indoors. She got a Sky Scout from me and it's really sparked her interest in the hobby. Hope she's happy when I mount the Sky Scout on the dob as a finder lol.

Me I got me Skywatcher 102T, my new guidescope. grin.gif

I got the book The Backyard Astronomer's Guide 3rd edition grin.gif

I also got 2x 2010 Stargazers' Almanac 2010: Monthly Guide to the Stars and Planets (Calendar) grin.gif

2 x OAS Calenders wink.gif

1 x Lenovo G550 Laptop. cheesy.gif

So I am well happy