Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M33

Dave Moulton

Hi Dave,

Very nice image. Congradulations.

I've been trying to get M33 to this standard using a canon 300d unmodified and a 400mm telephoto (M42 with adapter). My image is nowhere near as good as yours. Can you talk me through your setup and image processing methods.

I'm using DSS to stack the image. Mine is 54 minutes of lights with 30 minutes of dark frames. No flats or any of that stuff. The image I took is also posted on this forum (M33 and Star colour). I would be gratful if you could comment on it and suggest some tips etc. All my stars seem to end up Blue !! Ok if you're doing M45 I suppose :D

Cheers

Richard

Love the way the Ha is picked out in M33. Great shot of the Antler nebula

Martin

Yes the Deer Antler Nebula NGC 25122009. A difficult target a it tends to move around a lot making guiding a nightmare.I used the famed Astronmic Moose Antler Narrowband blocking filter to bring out the fine detail at the expense of needing longer subs of course

Merry Christmas

Dave

A very nice M33 Dave and wouldn't it be great if we had a few large visible nebula like the second image :D

Regards

Kevin

Sure would Kevin. Most scope adds look similar with the scope in the foreground which is why I have spent so much on this hobby having fallen for the advertising.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Very nice image. Congradulations.

I've been trying to get M33 to this standard using a canon 300d unmodified and a 400mm telephoto (M42 with adapter). My image is nowhere near as good as yours. Can you talk me through your setup and image processing methods.

I'm using DSS to stack the image. Mine is 54 minutes of lights with 30 minutes of dark frames. No flats or any of that stuff. The image I took is also posted on this forum (M33 and Star colour). I would be gratful if you could comment on it and suggest some tips etc. All my stars seem to end up Blue !! Ok if you're doing M45 I suppose :D

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the comments. Equipment wise the list is below

Scope WO 110MM Megrez ED Doublet

Guiding Astro Tech 66 + PHD

Camera Canon 350d Modded

Exposure 8 x 10 min subs @ ISO400

Darks 3 x 10 mins

Processing was done in PS2 with help form additional plug ins Gradient Exterminator Noels actions and Noiseware.

On the processing side I am no expert and do rely heavily on automated actions. Every picture seems to have its own difficulties though. Sometimes I will process the stars on a separate layer but I nearly always select the stars and work with curves contrast and saturation just on the stars themselves plus a few techniques for star reduction at the end.

It would probably be worthwhile if you email me your picture after stacking but before processing and I will have a go at it for you and note down all the processing steps and forward the details if you wish

My email address : daveymoulton@gmail.com

Have a good Christmas

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes I will Send you my RAW images. But not tonight. I'm getting vibes from the family that I should be spending a bit of time with them. Apparently its some kind of special evening tonight or something !! :D

Will be in contact soon

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Hi Dave,

Yes I will Send you my RAW images. But not tonight. I'm getting vibes from the family that I should be spending a bit of time with them. Apparently its some kind of special evening tonight or something !! :D

Will be in contact soon

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Understandable. The offer is there when you get time. Probably best is you email all the files including the darks. You should be able to email them individually

Dave

Archived