Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crab Nebula

JCJC

A clear night :D , it's been a while. Had to rush around fitting my DIY dew heater I'd only just finished as the scopes were cooling, but it seemed to keep the corrector clear even in these below freezing temperatures which is promising.

Started taking a few subs of the horsehead, then decided it was too low, the light polution was bad and someone had started a wood burning stove just below it next door. :)

Switched to M1, managed 7 x 6mins, darks and flats stacked in DSS and processed in CS3. Surprised at how little noise there was from such a low exposure time, might have something to do with the temperature being bellow freezing.

Taken through the C6 with f6.3 reducer using modded Canon 350D and CLS Clip Filter on a EQ6 Pro running EQMod with CDC guided Skywatcher ST80, Phillips SPC900NC webcam and PHD

42mins, 7 x 6min ISO 800 with 1.5mins gap

post-15800-133877415944_thumb.jpg

post-15800-133877415952_thumb.jpg

Lovely image and nice to see the clear structure. I have over currently about 3 hours on this target with a 1000D and clip filter and want to add more.

Are you planning on adding more to this, would be interesting to see the comparisons.

Thanks Brendan and Mike,

Catanonia, yours is a great image the time spent really shows. You used to use a 350D didn't you? The difference in noise must make for a smoother result, if I get another hour or two tomorrow (good forecast) then a comparison should be interesting.

Jordan.

Thanks Sam.

Catanonia, I think an upgrade is a fair way away, only just got the modded 350D really.

The 450D and 1000D are producing fine results though. Sometime in the future hopefully.

Cheers,

Jordan

• 1 month later...

I much prefer the first version Jordan. It's really natural looking and the colour is bang-on....very nice rich reds and good stars.:)

On the second version, you've pushed it too far, and the image has become noisy.

There is really only so far an image can be pushed without running into noise issues, and the only real way around these issues is to get more subs and improve the signal to noise ratio.

The first result with only 7 subs is really good, but you should be looking at a very minimum of 25-30(only 3 hours or so) in order to really start to make an image work well, and really 50 or so is great if you can get them. Anything more will improve the image, but only very slowly, and after 90 or 100 subs, there is little gain to be had from adding more.

With the results you have, I would suggest grabbing some more data to add to this, as it has the makings of a very fine image.

Cheers

Rob

Thank you Rob, it's great to get honest feedback. It's very, very helpful.

I hopefully will, eventually, get time to add more to this. It definitely helps to leave an image and come back to it a day later, you soon realise the colour is wrong, you've pushed it too hard or just overdone it.

Thank you Kevin.

Cheers,

Jordan.

Archived