Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium - older version?

Yeah - my g/f is getting 7 - I'll let her test it for a few months before I decide lol

I like the idea of running an exe in admin/XP mode - I'll try it next time I get a suitable problem :D

7 is top notch. Unless you have some very old hardware without drivers for any OS more recent then XP then you have nothing to fear. I would describe it as "latest XP stable/fast versions meet Vista design with improvements".

I installed it 1st on my wife's laptop as I have very sensible work and didn't want to test on mine. 2 days later I was formating my own PC to install 7.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, it is a relief (XP runs too slow now with all the SPs and updates, Vista is flakey). The thing I was most impressed about was that I was able to upgrade a Vista PC to W.7. I have used DOS from 3.2, Windows from 3.1, NT from 3.1 - and upgrading versions could be so hit-and-miss I'd always end up doing a clean install of the new OS. The Vista to 7 upgrade just worked. It was hard to believe, TBH. The only problem I had was I needed to set up MediaCentre again, and W.7 would not recognise the internal DVB tuner, only the external one - which is a pain as it means I can either record or watch one channel rather than having two tuners. One day I will get round to trying to find a way of getting it to work with both. But life is short.

M.

I agree, it is a relief (XP runs too slow now with all the SPs and updates, Vista is flakey). The thing I was most impressed about was that I was able to upgrade a Vista PC to W.7. I have used DOS from 3.2, Windows from 3.1, NT from 3.1 - and upgrading versions could be so hit-and-miss I'd always end up doing a clean install of the new OS. The Vista to 7 upgrade just worked. It was hard to believe, TBH. The only problem I had was I needed to set up MediaCentre again, and W.7 would not recognise the internal DVB tuner, only the external one - which is a pain as it means I can either record or watch one channel rather than having two tuners. One day I will get round to trying to find a way of getting it to work with both. But life is short.

M.

I always do a clean install and keep ghost images once all the drivers and apps are installed so recovery takes minutes, in fact I routinely re-install every month or so - keep all my personal data on a sever I have in the loft.

I may put 7 on over Christmas since I have some spare time...

I always do a clean install and keep ghost images once all the drivers and apps are installed so recovery takes minutes, in fact I routinely re-install every month or so...

Glad to see I am not the only one who does this....

...I like a smooth running machine...

I'm afraid I install an OS once, and make sure it keeps working - I kept XP running nearly five years on one PC, and it was only because I got sick of daily updates and speed issues I replaced it with Debian 5. Installing & re-installing OS is tedious, I just want to use the PC, not make nurturing it a way of life.

I recently installed XP fresh on a PC I'd been running Debian on - and I was surprised how fast it was. Two days later, after I'd finished loading all the drivers, updates and service packs, it was running like a dog with three legs. Not sure how you can get around this, when the biggest hinderance to performance is the bloated OS itself.

M.

Archived