Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium - older version?

Hi

I had Stellarium on my laptop, but when got my new laptop I downloaded the latest version. It crashes on start up and is hopeless. I have read online that others have had this problem and fiddled about to fix it. The thing is, my laptop belongs to work, so I don't want to start messing around with it...

So... i wondered if it is still possible to download an earlier version:icon_scratch:?

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had exactly the same problem and had to go back to the Beta version 0.10.0 which loads and runs fine except it doesn't seem to have any constellation lines. Otherwise it's sufficient till they fix the current version or someone comes up with any other installation ideas/fixes.

I had exactly the same problem and had to go back to the Beta version 0.10.0 which loads and runs fine except it doesn't seem to have any constellation lines. Otherwise it's sufficient till they fix the current version or someone comes up with any other installation ideas/fixes.

I use the BETA 10.0 version now and the constellation lines are there (if you click the button to display them) . I only have it on my desktop PC. I havent downloaded it to my laptop. I cant see that being an issue though.

@Stormwind,

One thought does occur me - if this is a work laptop, do they have security software that blocks uncertificated software installed by the user?

You will need to give people more information - whether you are running Windows or Linux, whether running 64/32 bit Linux/Windows, which version of Linux/Windows (e.g. Windows XP, Vista, 7).

M.

I use Vista home premium on an acer aspire 5735 and couldnt get the constelation lines to work - you need to check the display driver and make sure you have the latest one - dont use windows to update it go to the manufactures site and check the date of release

@Stormwind,

One thought does occur me - if this is a work laptop, do they have security software that blocks uncertificated software installed by the user?

You will need to give people more information - whether you are running Windows or Linux, whether running 64/32 bit Linux/Windows, which version of Linux/Windows (e.g. Windows XP, Vista, 7).

M.

Thanks all

Work are very (too) relaxed about what we download, so although it could be this (I'll check after the holiday) I'd be surprised if it is.

My laptop is indeed Windows Vista... Vista seems to cause so many problems. :D

I'll have a fiddle, thanks for the link, Sam. I actually found that link last week, then lost it - I was searching for it on a different astronomy forum.

I know that it isn't Stellarium, but this is an alternative free piece of software that may or may not serve your needs...........Celestia: Home.

Thank you - I'll take anything I can get. I am still learning my way around charts, and find the 'what you see when you look up at the sky' programs a lot of help. I'll have a look at it.

Vista is a pain - I stuck Ubuntu on my laptop to avoid it, and Debian on my PC - but I had to get a new PC for my academic (as I rely on Word with Endnote). That is about all I used the new PC for. Just got a new laptop with Windows 7 - and it works much better than Vista. I've bought a 3-PC upgrade for the other PC, the one I use as a Media Centre, and my partner's laptop - the one I have upgraded so far seems to work better than it did under Vista.

The only things I've found don't work with Window's 7 so far are Celestron's bundled version of The Sky, a few S&N freebies, and S&T's download of Mars. The problem seems to be running 16 bit and some 32 bit apps on the 64 bit OS.

Maybe your firm would let you upgrade the laptop to Windows 7?

M.

I have Celestron's The Sky. But many people tell me I need Stellarium. It works on my Acer with Vista until I try to use the left hand configuration windows then I get what looks like a real closeup of Jupiter (swirly coloured bits!). I don't want Paris, I want Wiltshire. I have tried to find the beta version 0.10.0 but can't find a download for it. Can anyone help? Is it that much better than "The Sky" or should I give up on it?

It's whatever works for you.

You can plot your co-ordinates right down to the finest degree with Stellarium, and even the elevation of where you are observing - you can find out your lat & long co-ordinates online - Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude.

Tick the default box and it will always boot on your chosen location. :D

I personally think it is worth working through issues with your PC to run Stellarium as it is free - mine was an OpenGl issue that for some reason wasn't working with my graphics card, but reinstalling the drivers actually worked.

I find that if I have the Stellarium window maximised, it all works fine (W.7) - and I can plug in my lat-long and alt and it can all be saved as the default site. However, your post above did remind me that if I select the window not be maximised (forget what that is called), then I cannot access the LHS menu with all the configuration options. Not sure if this is connected - but if you aren't running with it maximised, maybe try maximising and see if that helps? I had similar issues running on Linux, it didn't like running unmaximised.

M.

I'm running version 0.10.2 with Vista SP2 32 bit on my desktop with 3Gb of RAM, and an ancient (by graphics card standards) Nvidia 8600 GT graphics card with 256Mb of RAM with a fairly up-to-date driver. It behaves itself very well in either full or windowed mode.

Stellarium gives a graphics card a fairly good workout for something that isn't a game so you need to get your video setup up to scratch.

--

Martyn.

Stellarium 0.10.2 roblem solved.

I originally installed Stellarium and it ran fine. The I tried to download the star catalogs in the tools section. This was largely sucessful but the eighth one I cancelled half way through because it was taking so long. Next time I tried to run it I got runtime errors and the program terminated itself.

No amount of uninstalling and reinstalling seemed to work. It didn't make sense and couldn't be a drivers problem because it had worked before.

After 3 days (on and off) of searching FAQ's, forums and support sites I discovered that when it downloads star catalogs, the stars.ini file is updated before the download, not afterwards on a sucessful completion as you'd expect, and hence stays configured even if you cancel half way through. This file lingers even if you uninstall it for some reason.

Solution:

1. Before uninstalling - delete stars.ini so it has no info about your downloads.

2. Uninstall using the Stellarium uninstaller or the Windows "Add/Remove Programs".

3. Reinstall (latest version) and it will work.

4. Download the star catalogs one at a time, restarting Stellarium after each download to check it's d/l'd ok.

5. If there's an error - remove the entry from the end of stars.ini and repeat download (or fetch individual star catalog manually from the site).

Everything will now be ok. The first 3 catalogs (4,5, and 6) d/l quite quickly. 7 and 8 take 20-25 mins each on a 2Mb broadband connection. It took me around 1hr to get the whole lot.

Pathname: C:\Program Files\Stellarium\stars\default\stars.ini

Reference: https://answers.launchpad.net/stellarium/+question/91047

Good luck with it :D

Lol Sam - it certainly can seem to be a bit of a mystic art. I'm accustomed to looking up and resolving bugs in my work (though not for Windows).

All I can say is - it worked for me and it should work for anyone using Vista who has had it running previously.

Let me know how you get on :D

Don't know if you knew this, or have tried it already - whenever Vista throws a fit at you with an application, navigate to the .exe file wherever it maybe, right click it and do properties - then select both run as administrator and run in XP compatibility mode. Then try again, usually sorts out most problems :D

I used Vista for about 3 weeks before ditching it back to XP, I'm hearing 7 is very good but I'm not rushing in.

Archived