Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Caveman

Nexstar 8 SE help needed please.... AGAIN!!

Had another go tonight, this time I used the SkyAlign where you select 3 un-named bright stars, I chose Deneb, Capella and Betelgeuse and success! went straight to M31, M42 and M1 Crab Nebula, slightly off centre in the eyepiece but that was probably due to me leveling with the supplied bubble level on top off the battery cover and only using a 25mm eypiece, next time maybe I should try leveling the actual tripod and using a 10mm too?

Anyway i'm well pleased with the scope, works well, and is very quiet too, so wont upset the neighbours. I had a great view of the Orion nebula, M31 and M1 (Crab Nebula) it looked like a faint oval shaped smudge, the optics are superb.

I got there in the end!

Edited by Caveman

I used my Celestron powertank at -12 C for a 90-minute session without problems.

But it can be a problem sometimes. It certainly was on occsaions with my NS8 GPS.

Just to add to the debate.

Setup the other night the 8 se on it's new wedge. shocked.gif

Aligned the wedge/scope pointing directly to Polaris. And then did a EQ North Two star align on Mizar (The plough) and Rigel (Orion).

Once setup tried to find some deepsky objects, found the Horsehead first time and found Mars first time as well.

So all in all the wedge was worth it and very easy to setup and align.

I would totally recommend one.

si

Edited by simon e

Hi ,I used to have a celestron I think you should not use the pole star as one of the aligment options. think that will do it.

This reminds of alignment problems I once had with a brand new Nexstar 8SE. Despite doing everything right, nothing I did (including re-setting the HC) would make it align properly. In the end it turned out to be a hand control firmware problem. Even though the hand control had the latest firmware version already I updated it anyway to re-install the firmware. Problem solved and perfect alignment every time after then.

John

Mine works fine with DST set to on - did it last night and it was fine. perfect alignment. Shrugs - explain that and stay fashionable.

I know nothing, but just a thoery: If you star align accurately it knows where all the stars and DSOs are and can move there by relative offset from its known points (the alignment stars) and relative time offset from a time zero (time of alignment), without knowedge of the absolute time. However, time - position dependent objects such as the moon or planets need to know the correct absolute time/date.

So I would expect you can find stars and DSOs without absolute time knowledge in an aligned system, but the moon and planets may show a positional error.

Or I could be talking complete rubbish :hello2:

It will all depend on how and who wrote the software and what use is made of the timezone, DST, Lat, Long, Time and whatever else.

Someone with a Meade elsewhere has had problems that came down to the timezone being set to GST-1. It would seem however that if the scope has the Lat, Long, Time and DST then it should be able to determine everything and the timezone is unnecessary.

The problem of going from object to object is that errors add up. Also where is M42? Centre, Top or an edge, it's big enough to mean that moving to the next item is inaccurate as the starting point is imprecise. Also the longer that you look at an object then again the more the errors add up. Those motors and bits aren't that accurate.

There a synchronisation option on the Meade to help reduce this, I assume similar on Celestrons.

Also just passed through the brain cavity: A goto basically operates in X-Y co-ordinates and the sky rotates in polar. So there has to be a conversion. The same motor, alt or az, will have to drive at a different rate depending on each specific objects location in the sky.

Edited by Capricorn